Is IB good to futures scalping?

Discussion in 'Order Execution' started by shelupinin, Mar 16, 2008.

1. Sweet!

#61     Aug 23, 2008
  2. The problem is you don't have balanced opinion. And therefore, it hardly reflects an "honest, researched, realistic opinion." I believe this is because you have never been a customer.

For instance, you consistently take IB to task based on their commissions. Most traders I know however, look at more than simply commissions. I for example look at the safety of my funds. Earlier this year it looks touch and go for a few firms...there was a question as to whether customers would lose their funds. As an IB customer I never had that fear, due to IB's balance sheet, and the account insurance.

If you were to present a balanced picture on cost, you gotta talk about all the costs and benefits of an account. My commissions for example compare favorably with Velocity Futures. I use the unbundled rates.

This problem runs through your "researched" opinions. You present a point, without presenting the counterpoint. IB uses a snapshot. True. This means that once in a while you miss a tick on your chart. But during heavy volume, high activity times, the feed does not lag like some feeds do. Was your point balanced?

I could go on, but I'm not going to spend the time. I'm sure you get the point. If you really 'researched" your opinions, it doesn't look like you did much of a job of research, because they show no balance.

The fact is, you have no first hand knowledge of anything about IB. It's all hearsay....and poorly "researched" at that.

OldTrader

#62     Aug 23, 2008
  3. Firstly, I state I have no first-hand experience. There is no misleading. Unlike the factions of IBers on this board who spout the letters IB in any and all posts and who infact do mislead...
    My favorite from a few days ago
    Looks like my latest YM trades were $1.57/contract per side. in a thread titled "What kind of commission are you paying?"

Secondly, I agree that for SOME, the unfavorable issues with using IB for futures trading, MAY BE offset.

Regarding quotes, I have more useful ways of spending my trading time (whether in or flat) than concerning myself with the accuracy of an intraday bar. The surmise that a quote (which may or may not be accurate for a traders needs) does not lag is NOT an offset. Now then, you and I both know there is no infallible quote source. But I also know, first-hand, that I am not the only trader in the universe with this point-of-view or need regarding quotes. What I don't know as is the case with this thread, is what THE OP requires; the need was not clearly stated other than the term "scalping" for which I applied my own definition to.

As for commissions, for futures, IB is not the low-priced leader bundled or unbundled. period.
    As for intraday margins, for futures, IB is inconsistent, unlike the exchanges, who adjust rules and regulations regularly AND applicable to all market participants.
    As for auto-liquidation, for futures, IB makes no attempt to determine the traders intention, nor does it have a transparent policy to carry out a liquidation.

My trading business, which is 100% intraday futures, requires consistency. My profits come from trading, not from interest paid on balances over 10K. There are plenty of official oversight organizations with the authority to affect the market in whole. That btw is fair and balanced. I do not need, want, or expect my brokerage to "out-think" me or the authorities. If the offset of this is YOUR safety, than better control is needed to prevent those customers responsible for such rules, not be allowed to open accounts in the first place. If the offset is MY safety, then I tell you, as long as acceptable alternatives exist in the marketplace, I know what is best for me, thank you but no thank you.

To end this conversation with you OldTrader, I'll just say what I have said for a long long time...
    McDonalds sells the most hamburgers, Symantec sells the most antivirus software.
    Selling the most does not mean "the best". Because IB offers a particular product or service
    does not mean IB is "the best" at providing that product or service.
    It is dependent on the traders overall needs, wants and expectations.
    And to be fair and balanced, the above analogy is not to be construed in any way that
    IB is the biggest brokerage financially or has the most clients. It isn't and it doesn't.

If my posts are un-fair or un-balanced or misleading, there are plenty of posters, like you, to point out the good within the evil known as IB. bwahaha

Osorico

#63     Aug 23, 2008
  4. LOL ... a smart-ass comment like "And to be fair and balanced, the above analogy is not to be construed in any way that IB is the biggest brokerage financially or has the most clients. It isn't and it doesn't." is your weakness Osorico.

It demonstrates your intent and makes any claim to be balanced obvious bs.

Your ego gives you away. LMAO. :D :p :D

#64     Aug 23, 2008
  5. "Brigade" seems about right. Hopefully its only one or two people using a hundred different user names !

#65     Aug 24, 2008
  6. Allow me to state for the record, I am not an employee of Advantage Futures, and don't care if anyone uses them or not, but here is my experience with Advantage:

1) I clear through Advantage as a CQG Integrated Client, so I do not use their platforms, and therefore I am not familiar with the troubles listed above.
    2) I receive great commission rates.
    3) My statements are on-time and correct.
    4) Wire transfers are on time and correct.
    5) Margin policies are consistent.
    6) The few times I have had a need to contact customer support, my issues were dealt with immediately and in a couteous manner.

The other "thing" I like about Advantage is they don't seem to have, or need, minions of zealots hacking down any negative comments about them on this site ! Refreshing.

#66     Aug 24, 2008
  7. moo

moo

What exactly is "5 second data", does it use a lot more computer resources, and how to set it up?

For both osorico and OldTrader: may I ask, how much volume do you do, how many futures per day (or month)?

#67     Aug 25, 2008