Is IB designed to just feed liquidity to Timber Hill?

Discussion in 'Order Execution' started by jonnysharp, Jun 15, 2011.

1. So why can't we trade against each other at the NBBO in US equities? Client A posts a passive order at "IB Internal", client B uses SMART, and SMART checks "IB Internal" first and, you rebate the adder .0010 and charge the remove .0015 (or whatever), instead of now where we end up paying .01 or .0050 per share. "IB Internal" can be a dark pool.

#31     Jun 18, 2011
  2. I am reasonably satisfied with the current way that smart operates.

However, there are some exchanges that pay me to take their liquidity like CBOE. When I use a marketable order, I would like to take that liquidity first as preference. I would like to take that liquidity even before routed to Timer Hill. It does not make sense to leave this money on the table.

..as well as checking for midpoint match on ice etc.

IB, maybe can add more options for preference on marketable orders with smart.

#32     Jun 18, 2011
  3. LeeD

LeeD

It's a shame if this thread is slowly dying out. I was hoping for further comments from IB.

Some of us, like me, are actually happy clients. We are just trying to figure out what is going on.

#33     Jun 21, 2011

4. Def caught with his pants down ...:)

#34     Jun 21, 2011
  5. bone

bone

People love to bitch about IB, but it would appear that they have a market niche. Personally, I had a much easier time finding shares to borrow short at IB than Goldman Sachs, but I am no big equity trader by any means.

#35     Jun 21, 2011
  6. actually I wish IB had a few worthy competitors to choose from. I don't like the idea that if IB disappeared there would be no one to switch to.

#36     Jun 21, 2011
  7. bone

bone

And that is the central tenet to this entire thread, IMO.

#37     Jun 21, 2011
  8. J.P.

J.P.

Some of the valid points on this thread notwithstanding, in addition to TAG has anyone here ever placed a series of identical trades at IB and Broker X and found the latter to be superior?

#38     Jun 23, 2011
  9. It's amazing what this says if you read between the lines.

(1) Only one Canadian broker has infrastructure to charge IB rates.

(2) Only one Canadian broker is motivated to build such infrastructure....
    As opposed to just ripping off their Clients, that's the easy road.

(3) People feel lucky IB bothered to come to Canada.

This cannot be reconciled with IB Conspiracy Theories.

And Canadians can trade with any broker in the world...
    Unless they too lazy/cheap/unsophisticated...
    To set up a simple US or offshore corporation for $2,000.

#39     Jun 25, 2011
  10. All the time, but only because IB is retail. If I compared IB to everyone else in IB's bracket, they are the best.

#40     Jun 26, 2011