Is homosexuality a choice?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Rearden Metal, May 1, 2009.

Is homosexuality a choice?

1. Nope, not a choice at all.

43 vote(s)
    60.6%
  2. Yes; I had to choose to be straight, they choose to be gay.

9 vote(s)
    12.7%
  3. Yes, it's a choice- Although I never chose my own sexual orientation.

9 vote(s)
    12.7%
  4. Not sure.

10 vote(s)
    14.1%
  1. Oh, I doubt it was Pavlovian. I was attracted to girls for as long as I can remember and certainly well before the age of 5, when I was infatuated with a teenaged girl who lived nearby. While I think my parents brought me up reasonably well, let's just say that none of the other stuff took quite as well. I think your Pavlovian argument is weak and contrived. And while I wish that gays can enjoy the same rights as anyone else, I cannot envision such an orientation for myself under any circumstances. And I doubt it is the result of my parents' expert conditioning. In sum, I think you're reaching.

#41     May 1, 2009
  2. Well, it is of course your right to doubt, and think im reaching and all that, and your memory is such that u remember being attracted to a teen, sexually, at the age of FIVE.

Gender modeling begins as soon as u
    are able to walk, which is before the age of five.

We won't bother to get into how u knew u were sexually attracted at FIVE, which implies that u could have given INFORMED consent, at FIVE.

Secondly, u cannot disprove the Pavlovian response. It simply does not fit into your social model. Not fitting in your social argument does not refute the science behind the argument.

#42     May 1, 2009
  3. I doubt if I knew about sex, per se, when I was 5. What I wrote is that I was infatuated.

As for your continued Pavlovian argument, which you claim I cannot disprove, perhaps you could explain something to me. What early and intensive Pavlovian conditioning took place in those households where the child turned out to be gay and then was ostracized by his parents for being so? Perhaps you're the one with the social argument that doesn't quite fit...

#43     May 1, 2009
  4. Suggests...

A theist would suggest that Occam's razor came from God...

#44     May 1, 2009
  5. Funny, but you know what I mean. Evolution does not require the existence of a god. And while that does not mean there isn't one, conversely, the desire that there be a god does not necessarily make it so.

#45     May 1, 2009
  6. Nah, the child chose to engage in an activity that the family didn't approve of. No different than not going into the family business and facing ostracism.

Choice.

#46     May 1, 2009
  7. I have always thought it was genetic for most but some are simply mentally ill and perverted either from genetic predisposition or abuse.

Our genes run our lives much more then we understand. Everything boils down to them in some context.

For those who are truly genetic Homosexual then they have no natural choice but to be who they are.

John

#47     May 1, 2009
  8. LeeS

LeeS

All of the evidence would suggest there is not a choice involved, and homosexuality is also found in the animal world as well. The choice is not in the sexual orientation, but rather in acting upon it, which is a choice, and it's one that people should be free to make. No one tells a a straight person they have to go through life without the love and affection of a person they care about, and we don't have the right to say that to gay's either.

#48     May 1, 2009
  9. Well okay, then it follows that it is ditto for pedophiles, necrophiles, and bestialitly.

They should be allowed to make their choice as well.

Many a dog lover in the world

:D :mad:

#49     May 1, 2009
  10. There are also animals with two heads. So should we make a practice of normalizing the abnormal?

Homosexuality is an anomaly. By definition this genetic pattern cannot last more than a single generation.

#50     May 1, 2009