Is homosexuality a choice?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Rearden Metal, May 1, 2009.

Is homosexuality a choice?

1. Nope, not a choice at all.

43 vote(s)
    60.6%
  2. Yes; I had to choose to be straight, they choose to be gay.

9 vote(s)
    12.7%
  3. Yes, it's a choice- Although I never chose my own sexual orientation.

9 vote(s)
    12.7%
  4. Not sure.

10 vote(s)
    14.1%
  1. This leads me to believe you are not too familiar with the advantages of sexual reproduction vs. asexual reproduction (cloning). You'll need to explain in better detail how you arrived at your conclusions if we're ever going to understand each other on this point.

So you are against government sanctioned marriage? Fair enough but that doesn't explain why you bother to argue the difference between gay and straight marriage if you support neither. I guess you don't mind not being assured that your wife will be empowered to make decisions on your behalf should you ever be incapacitated?

Jem so you'd be perfectly okay with it if one day your wife told you she was really more interested in other women and wasn't really in to you but you were a convenient cover?

#181     May 10, 2009
  2. Of course gays can choose to be married, and the state must view their marriage as the same way as a straight couple. To do less is discrimination on the basis of sexual preference among consenting adults.

However, someone can still be oriented by innate desire, and chose to act against their own innate nature. You might dream of gay sex, but since your religion is against it, you choose to act against your own inner nature.

Every action by every adult is considered a choice. What we desire is not a choice, only our conscious actions represent a conscious choice.

Take a court of law, every action is considered a choice, and rewards or punishment in a court of law for choices happen all the time. Not guilty by reason of temporary insanity mitigates the choice to kill, because the court considers the choice to have been a product of temporary abatement of reason.

The factors that impact choice come into play as well as the intent behind the action, and these factors of course can and do mitigate the manner in which actions are governed by our legal process. The elderly are often stripped of their legal right of choice because the court determined they are no longer competent to make that choice. The Supreme Court of Florida properly ruled in favor of the choice of Terri Schiavo's husband over the choice of her parents...so everything which is an action performed consciously is a choice...or there is no such thing as free will as an absence of free will eliminate the process of choice to act or not act as a product of personal choice.

It all comes down to the essential fabric of our society being based on choice of the individual except when the choices are determined to be harmful to themselves or others in society.

We prohibit certain actions only when we are convinced that such actions are harmful to the individual or the society.

...and yes, as consenting adults, they can do what they want with their bodies.

Adulthood does has it perks and privilege...

Seriously, this is a no brainer for the thinking person.

Legalize gay marriage across the board. Then collect relevant data and study the consequences of gay marriage scientifically for a generation or two.

Then if it can be shown definitively and scientifically that gay marriage causes harm to individuals or society, then outlaw gay marriage.

My guess is that you and your ilk will not be able to show gay marriage is a threat to the already crumbling institution of straight marriage and the dysfunctional family structure of a "Christian" nation...

By the way, you dodged the following question:

Is homosexuality a sin?

#182     May 10, 2009
  3. jem

jem

You clearly do not understand constitutional law. You must be a bit nuts to think you can argue Constitutional law with such a infantile understanding.

Laws discriminate all the time. Is that your point - the marriage law discriminates... so what?
    We do not allow marriage between 4 women and a man. We do not allow non doctors to practice medicine. The military did not allow gays in the military. People with felony records lose their right to vote. 20 year olds can't drink. The president is supposed to be 35 and a natural born citizen. What laws don't discriminate?

Your current argument is puerile. Do some research. It won't take long.
    -
    Whether gay sex is a sin is irrelevant. Sin would be between God and the person. I have no desire to concern myself with others sins.

How the Word acts on you and effects your life is between you and God. Not me.

You are the one hung up on sins. Perhaps you realize how hypocritical you are? Or is it something worse?

#183     May 11, 2009
  4. Admitting you are is gay is one thing but please don't put pictures of yourself in this thread. Thank you.

Oh yeah, either "flaming" or in the closet. Fifty-five per cent. Who would of thought.

#184     May 11, 2009
  5. Choosing to stick your dick in somebody else's ass is a choice not chance.

Homosexuality is sick

#185     May 12, 2009
  6. are you forced to stick your dick in anything? like that latex sleeve your so fond of :D

#186     May 12, 2009
  7. Think how many new friends you'll make. Misterno seems receptive...

#187     May 12, 2009
  8. ThunderDork strikes again! I see you voted for the top choice above. And you didn't even know you were in the closet. You can come out now. No, on second thought stay where you belong. :p

#188     May 13, 2009
  9. jem

jem

Did anyone notice - zzz let someone have the last word.

I wonder if he is off the payroll?

#189     May 13, 2009