Is high inflation coming after this crisis??

Discussion in 'Economics' started by jueco2005, Mar 23, 2009.

1. That's a silly myth from conspiracy sites. That's what happens on the internet these days and particularly when people smoke too much pot for which I have many experiences also.

The Fed loans money to the treasury at a very low rate. The Fed takes out their upkeep costs (like a normal business) and then remit whatever is over that back to the treasury.

Therefore, essentially the new money is just pushed into the system, minus the costs of putting it there.

This will not suddenly correct this myth because people just do not want to hear this unexciting truth.

:)

#31     Mar 23, 2009
  2. Hey jem,

Yes well as said I don't want to too much into specific economic schools of thought, or debating what I stated, which you have most considerably respected.

However, I will state this. I do not follow any particular school of thought and do endeavour to never make assumptions. The majority of my economic knowledge is purely my own and not taken from any school, for I avoid even reading contemporary literature.

I do not try to predict what the government will do, and I am purely interested in the big picture of economics as opposed to chance decisions.

Well in regards to the Fed charging interest to americans, as stated in a very recent post, which you might not have read yet, I believe that to be a myth that has convinced even the best of us.

#32     Mar 23, 2009
  3. Cutten

Cutten

Massive credit busts are usually accompanies by falling prices, not inflation.

Quantitative easing is inflationary but IMO the amounts they will print will be far less than the deflationary impact of credit reduction. There is a reason G7 government bonds have yields in the 3% range.

#33     Mar 23, 2009
  4. Oh sorry. You are still blindfolded. Search the truth my friend.

#34     Mar 23, 2009
  5. Always do. At present I believe the truth to be as I stated. But I always retain an open mind. I have of course watched zeitgeist and such and such. If you have something you think I should see, I am more than happy to give it my unbiased attention.

My pleasure is always to be corrected. For I only wish to be correct.

#35     Mar 23, 2009
  6. JB3

JB3

How the hell do you re-inflate the housing values without the same increase in wages and lowering lending standards again? Housing was priced out of range of most people working a normal job. And unless you go back to loose lending (which caused the whole mess), do you think most people have 20% down payment for a house? Not likely when they have a crap load of CC debt still.

The government cannot spend its way out of a fundamental problem of this magnitude.

#36     Mar 23, 2009
  7. That's what happens when you vote for charisma over competence. It is inevitable. There is no solution, but they have to at least pretend to try :p

Representative democracy is a farce.

#37     Mar 23, 2009
  8. jprad

jprad

What part of taxpayer subsidized backstops are you having trouble parsing?

While they shouldn't, they certainly can, and they will.

#38     Mar 23, 2009
  9. piezoe

piezoe

If you don't understand how modern economies with fiat currency work and the relationship between deficits and inflation then you might wonder if high inflation is coming. If you do understand the relationship, you won't need to ask the question. That's why Bernanke knows the answer to your question and you don't.

#39     Mar 23, 2009

10. I am not safe from inflation. However my debt from the purchase of my home is a kind of hedge against it. I still have sizable 401K which if there is inflation might take a hit.
    However, some inflation (moderate) is good for the economy and the folk in general.

#40     Mar 23, 2009