is greed good???

Discussion in 'Trading' started by vladiator, Jul 25, 2002.

1. No. Greed is not good.

"The love of money is the root of all kinds of evil." --Jesus.

This from someone who at length on being wise with 'this worlds goods.'

----this forum should not involve religion, it only sets the stage for conflict.....we are all traders here, and we all do it for the money. The free capitalistic world was built on an inherent quest for money, were it not for this, markets would not exist, and neither would this forum.

#21     Jul 25, 2002
  2. MrDinky

MrDinky

#22     Jul 25, 2002
  3. "Times are rough, oh I got
    too much stuff"

#23     Jul 25, 2002
  4. Publias

Publias Guest

Yes life is much more then just what your two hands can grab...

#24     Jul 25, 2002
  5. Babak

Babak

Chasinfla,

I thought that "the lack of money was the root of all evil".

:confused:

#25     Jul 25, 2002
  6. I won't get into a discussion on whether it is "right" or "wrong" rs7, but I long ago gave up sugar coating my reaction to religious nonsense. For my part, I, too, am offended when this Jesus character openly threatens me with eternal torment - for no malicious act, only for refusing to buy his tall story.

Why bring this up on a trading forum?
    Isn't it reasonable to assume that a fear of making money (lest it be considered impiuos) could have a negative effect on trading results? Absolutely. Have I done wrong for arguing against what, in my opinion, is a ridiculous notion? I hope not.

#26     Jul 25, 2002
  7. That's another thing I was gonna mention Babak.
    Lack of money has been the cause of far more "evil" than the love of money. Anyway, it's not really the money itself that is desirable - the actual bills and coins or numbers in the bank - it's what money represents to you (freedom, power, prestige, whatever). It's just a means to an end, nothing more.

Furthermore, even the lack of money hasn't been the cause of all "evil". Was 9/11 motivated by lack/love of money? Pretty doubtful. (Was it an evil act? Surely) Timothy McVeigh? No.
    Colombine massacre? No. And that's just a few examples.

#27     Jul 25, 2002
  8. No.

#28     Jul 25, 2002
  9. Andre

Andre

Hmm. Tell you what, when I first was reading alot of the interviews with traders, they did talk about being worthy of such gains. I kind of bleeped over it. But to make money in the markets, someone is going to lose money. I now see this issue as something one must deal with, to be successful.

There are conflicting beliefs in our society. Rags to riches stories are idolized. Yet, wealthy people are ridiculed. In countless Hollywood stories the blue collar person innocently asks the trader or wealthy person... "But what do you do." There's something unethical cast upon trading for a living, when compared to someone who works with their hands.

But how many people push papers and market someone else's labor? There's a whole world of people sitting atop the laborer or craftsman in the food chain.

So yes, I think it's perfectly reasonable to suggest that discomfort in making money is very real and could have a negative effect on trading results. I think resolving the issue of making money in a market that usually means the person on the other side has lost money... needs to be reconciled in each person before real success can occur.

#29     Jul 25, 2002
  10. Jesus is the root of all good threads going down the crapper. . . :D

#30     Jul 26, 2002