is google really worth $300-350 a share?

Discussion in 'Trading' started by jasonjm, Jun 7, 2005.

1. Banjo

Banjo

2. Google is part of our lives. Integrated into our online experience and advertisors know that. So, I would say yes, it's worth this much.

#42     Jun 9, 2005
  3. ElCubano

ElCubano

MKT CAP is where I see the problem ...not that its $30.00 or $300.00...$80 billion..the question is...How many billions is hype?? peace

#43     Jun 9, 2005
  4. this is interesting. sounds just like 1999. through the years there is always one or two stocks crowned the trader must have(trade)stocks in play at any one time. the first one i remember was iomega, then intc,then dell, then csco, then aol, then qcom,then yhoo, then jdsu,then jnpr then nvda,now we have rimm,cme,tazr. there were many more but these are ones just off the top of my head. study those charts. common theme is they all dropped at least 50% when the game ended. its all a matter of timing. dont fall in love with a stock.

#44     Jun 9, 2005
  5. Pathus

Pathus

It seems to make sense to simply buy only the hottest stocks, make some good money over a few months, sell to cover the basis, and then ride it a little more.

Why the hell should I even bother to "invest"?

#45     Jun 9, 2005
  6. Because there is no other way to make a 10,000% return ?...

#46     Jun 9, 2005
  7. keyser1

keyser1

Riskmanager,

I have no problem with you picking apart my comments but I think you may have me pegged incorrectly (but then again maybe you analyzed me just right and i just don't know it)...

Yes I consiously made a decision to take on more risk than the average investor. I would definitely prefer to make the right decision, but if i'm wrong on goog and I lose 80% of my investment its not going to affect my current lifestyle. I've prior invested in companies that have gone up 10 fold, but I've also invested in a company that went bankrupt and one that went down 80% (although most investments are in the middle). I am readily aware that goog is now a high risk company with alot of potential to disappoint.

Isn't all price forecasting based on presuppositions? Don't see how mine is any different

Whats wrong with being a fan of a company's products? I do realize that companies can make good products and be horrible investments. And no, I won't have a problem selling at a loss, or selling if my subjective future reality doesn't come true.

Something we agree on!!

The reasons I stated aren't the reasons why I think the stock is at 360 by feb, but rather they are general reasons why goog is a great company. And as long as it remains a great company, it will *probably* have a great stock.

My belief that goog is going to continue to rise is not based on the fact that it rose for the past 9 months. I didn't calculate my 8 month price estimate based on past trajectory. My current mode is "hold". I would love to play off the volatility but my lack of skill to predict 5-10 point up/down swings isn't worth the risk of missing a big jump. However, things change all the time, and I will reconsider my position whenever news comes out.

Good point, I've done pretty well overall in my 3 years in the market and I hope it hasn't given me a false sense of confidence; cuz its entirely within the realm of decent probability that I have indeed been lucky.

#47     Jun 9, 2005
  8. Congratulations man, I wish I had been as open to a contrary opinion six years ago as you are now. Would have saved me a good amount of nerves, to put it mildly.

Basically, all I wanted to hammer into your conscious awareness is this:

Place your stop loss orders and do not touch them afterwards. If you take care of your losses, your gains will take care of themselves.

Cheers!

#48     Jun 9, 2005
  9. Is google really worth $300-$350 a share?

(NO)

#49     Jun 9, 2005
  10. you are right. its worth 285.90 as we speak.

#50     Jun 9, 2005