Is God mute?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by nitro, Jul 2, 2015.

1. Empathy is a good start. You can't be commanded to empathy, it must follow understanding and insight.

#291     Sep 23, 2015
  2. jem

jem

I guess this was not the one time a year you take the person on the other side of the issues comment's in context and have an honest reply.

#292     Sep 23, 2015
  3. jem

jem

When all of your flaws and all of my flaws are laid out one by one
    A wonderful part of the mess that we made
    We pick ourselves undone

All of your flaws and all of my flaws, they lie there hand in hand
    Ones we’ve inherited, ones that we learn
    They pass from man to man

There’s a hole in my soul
    I can’t fill it, I can’t fill it
    There’s a hole in my soul
    Can you fill it? Can you fill it?

http://www.azlyrics.com/lyrics/bastille/flaws.html

Its God, art or alcohol and two of those frequently only work for a short time.
    Wonder why we all sense a spirtual hole

#293     Sep 23, 2015
  4. nitro

nitro

Treatise.jpg

This article might help Stu understand Jem, and other religuous people.

How an 18th-Century Philosopher Helped Solve My Midlife Crisis

"In 2006, I was 50—and I was falling apart.

Until then, I had always known exactly who I was: an exceptionally fortunate and happy woman, full of irrational exuberance and everyday joy....

...I had always been curious about Buddhism, although, as a committed atheist, I was suspicious of anything religious. And turning 50 and becoming bisexual and Buddhist did seem far too predictable—a sort of Berkeley bat mitzvah, a standard rite of passage for aging Jewish academic women in Northern California. But still, I began to read Buddhist philosophy....

...In 1734, in Scotland, a 23-year-old was falling apart.

As a teenager, he’d thought he had glimpsed a new way of thinking and living, and ever since, he’d been trying to work it out and convey it to others in a great book...

...Desideri sailed from Rome to India in 1712....When he finally arrived in Lhasa, the king and the lamas welcomed him enthusiastically, and their enthusiasm didn’t wane when he announced that he was a lama himself and intended to convert them all to Catholicism. In that case, the king suggested, it would be a good idea for him to study Buddhism. If he really understood Buddhism and he could still convince the Tibetans that Catholicism was better, then of course they would convert.

Desideri accepted the challenge. He spent the next five years in the Buddhist monasteries tucked away in the mountains around Lhasa. The monasteries were among the largest academic institutions in the world at the time. Desideri embarked on their 12-year-long curriculum in theology and philosophy. He composed a series of Christian tracts in Tibetan verse, which he presented to the king. They were beautifully written on the scrolls used by the great Tibetan libraries, with elegant lettering and carved wooden cases..."

http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine...ume-helped-me-solve-my-midlife-crisis/403195/

Last edited: Sep 23, 2015
    #294     Sep 23, 2015
  5. #295     Sep 23, 2015
  6. stu

stu

Except the more I understand about religion, the less there is to like.

#296     Sep 23, 2015
  7. " Was Jesus a Buddhist?

http://www.thezensite.com/non_Zen/Was_Jesus_Buddhist.html

The real historical question is not if he studied Buddhism, but where and how much he studied Buddhism, especially during his so-called "lost years.

BIBLICAL SILENCE

The biblical silence about Jesus' lost years is one of the strangest hiatuses in history. It is a total silence about one of the greatest moralists in human history, covering seventeen years of Jesus' life between the ages of twelve and twenty-nine. Indeed, except for his birth and a singular account of Jesus as a twelve-year old in Jerusalem, there is silence about all but the last three years of his life. Why? Why did not Jesus' twelve disciples and his thousands of followers not comment on his life for twenty-nine of his thirty-two years?

CONCLUSION

When nineteenth-century missionaries translated and read ancient Sanskrit and Pali documents in India, they began to call Buddhism the Christianity of the East. But Buddhism came first, five hundred years before Christ. The more accurate dubbing is to call Christianity the Buddhism of the West. "

Last edited: Sep 23, 2015
    #297     Sep 23, 2015
  8. stu

stu

The reply was honest. You just have your usual problem of recognizing one.

You may as well have said at one time science stops and thunder was not ascertainable by the current science.
    But that never meant it made it any more possible that Thor could or was be responsible for thunder.:rolleyes:
    Science is not stopped, does not stop, and it is the only method by which any rationally based practical knowledge and discovery can be made and validated about origin or anything else in reality.

It will be science that does that. Not religion. Religion already made its conclusion that it was Thor, now called God or the 'Creator' wot dunnit.

#298     Sep 23, 2015
  9. How useful is " the Only method " for (Un)Observable evidences?

A fairly Long "List of unsolved problems in physics"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_unsolved_problems_in_physics

Such as:

"
    Dark matter https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dark_matter
    What is the identity of dark matter?[7] Is it a particle? Is it the lightest superpartner (LSP)? Do the phenomena attributed to dark matter point not to some form of matter but actually to an extension of gravity?

Dark energy https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dark_energy#Quintessence
    What is the cause of the observed accelerated expansion (de Sitter phase) of the Universe? Why is the energy density of the dark energy component of the same magnitude as the density of matter at present when the two evolve quite differently over time; could it be simply that we are observing at exactly the right time? Is dark energy a pure cosmological constant or are models of quintessence such as phantom energy applicable?

Dark flow https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dark_flow
    Is a non-spherically symmetric gravitational pull from outside the observable Universe responsible for some of the observed motion of large objects such as galactic clusters in the universe?
    "

Last edited: Sep 24, 2015
    #299     Sep 24, 2015
  10. stu

stu

So useful, no one would even be aware of those (presently) (Un)Observable evidences.
    So useful, there is an infinitely long list of problems that physics solved.
    So useful, ironically you employed its usefulness here, by the wide array of scientific understanding with the application of physics that invented the computer, to inquire, which is what science is for.

However, I really don't think making an argument couched in terms of 'science doesn't know everything therefore what use is science' is at all compelling.

Had the supernatural concept of God , Buddha, whatever, been left in the gaps which -" the Only method " - science, had yet to close, there would be an inconceivably never ending list of questions and unsolved problems to wonder about, from the inside of caves!

I'd respectfully suggest religious belief is like bedwetting.
    Not particularly edifying and comes to a point where adults should grow out of it.

"When I was a child, I spoke as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child, but when I became a man, I put away childish things."....to better understand how useful science is.

#300     Sep 24, 2015