is futures prop BS??

Discussion in 'Prop Firms' started by sonnet, Oct 4, 2004.

1. I know a good Prop Firm in Florida any they are only looking for successful traders. They have a variety of scalpers and swing traders and are a small firm. They do not advertise for new traders they just seem to migrate. One of the principles is an ex-pit trader from Chicago. They are a great group of guys but paying a % of MY PROFITS to the house for the luxury of sitting in a room with a few others traders is a bit wack as far as I'm concerned. Someone said eariler that one should easily make enough on a one lot to make a decent living. I will expand on that by saying that adding good money management will increase that living to "Bling".

#21     Oct 5, 2004
  2. Since you are "an introvert" and "like being alone" prop may not be for you. This is especially the case since you have your own capital and seem to want to trade longer term than scalping. It might be better for you to do what you can to minimize the occurrence of technical problems and stay with trading from home. Dedicate one computer to only running your trading platform. Reformat the hard drive if necessary. Use Windows 2000 or XP (I'm still with 2000, it works so I figured why change it), run anti virus and anti spyware programs, periodically run hard drive maintenance utilities, have a backup internet connection, and get a router that will automatically switch to the backup internet connection if the primary fails.

Cheers,

TRADERguy

#22     Oct 5, 2004
  3. sonnet

sonnet

"backup internet connection if the primary fails"

what type of router do u use?

#23     Oct 5, 2004
  4. Hey, That's my set-up! LOL Add a 17" laptop on steroids for email and order entry.

#24     Oct 5, 2004
  5. Netgear - FVS328 - Prosafe VPN Firewall with Dial Backup

#25     Oct 5, 2004
  6. POINT

POINT

http://www.cme.com/edu/rcsrs/arcprop9918.html

Trends and Opportunities: Trading Arcade and Proprietary Trading Houses Seminar

Co-sponsored by CME and CBOT

Please join us for a nuts and bolts discussion of the opportunities available in prop houses and arcades.

When: Thursday, October 14, 2004 @ 2:30 p.m.
    Where: CME Auditorium

Topic include:

What is the difference between prop houses and arcades?
    Why arcades? Necessity is the mother of invention.
    How prop firms have moved into the area to meet trading talent needs.
    Transition plans for experienced floor traders.
    Trading alone versus trading as a member of a team.
    Selection process and opportunities for college graduates.
    The role of technology: how do scalpers in prop houses and arcades dealy with black box solutions?
    Overview:

Ginger Szala, Group Publisher, FUTURES Magazine.
    "The World of Prop Houses and Arcades: Growth in Europe and the U.S."

Moderator:

Chris Hehmeyer, Goldenberg Hehmeyer

Panels are representatives of prop houses and arcades with offices in Chicago:

Ollie Jones, Mac Futures
    Mary McDonnell, Geneva Trading
    Ray Cahnman and Tom Cooper, Transmarket
    Steve Williams and Clive Lambert, Curvalue
    Jim Heinz and Rob Moore, Marquette Partners

Space is limited. Registration is required. Please call 1-800-331-3332 or register online, to reserve a place. For further information, contact CME Education at 312-930-6937.

Reception to follow.

This seminar is being held in conjunction with CME College Day 2004. Please be advised that CME is making this information available to you as a resource. CME does not recommend of endorse any of the information that will be presented to you.

#26     Oct 5, 2004
  7. Everyone seems to forget that prop firms are out there to make money for themselves. Period.
    If you have money, trade from home. Trust me, props are not going to hold your hand.
    If you don't have money, then go prop untill you do, and then leave to go on your own (not many choices without $$ to trade with).

Thats it.

#27     Oct 5, 2004
  8. The truth be told.

#28     Oct 5, 2004
  9. most of you guys have no clue what you are talking about and that is painfully obvious.....

there are guys at my firm who take positions larger than you will ever have the margin for......BECAUSE they trade for a prop shop....and NO no one puts up their own money....all company funded...

there ARE a FEW guys who just rent desk space, but they dont use ANY comany money, and thus arent prop traders.....

and we all got 3 mos of training, PAID training, before we ever started trading.....

#29     Oct 5, 2004
  10. My question is . . . is there a valve on your thumb for the ego? I take it no one ever told you about "A S S U M E". It worked for "U". There are traders here at ET that could buy your Prop firm's building with their spare change.

There are great Prop firms and there are rotten Prop firms. Just like any industry there is good and bad. If you read all the posts you will see that is the consensus. Feel good about the Prop firm you work for but ease up on the assumptions.

#30     Oct 5, 2004