Is fully automated trading a fantasy? Your opinions here

Discussion in 'Automated Trading' started by ybfjax, Mar 13, 2007.

Is a 100% automated system possible for a $10k (futures/forex)? To live off of?

1. Yes, you can print money in the markets (large, consistent short term gains).

106 vote(s)
    37.9%
  2. Yes, but not to live off of (very slow gains long term).

27 vote(s)
    9.6%
  3. It may be possible, but no one would sell it.

73 vote(s)
    26.1%
  4. No. Strictly a trader fantasy.

74 vote(s)
    26.4%
  1. What happens when everyone has the same amount of technology and every system is the trained to capture all moves in a market. Then you have computers going against computers and none of them will take the other side of the trade because they are all smarter than that. What kind of a market would that be. I just don't see how automated trading can be better than a manuel trader who can change and adapt to everyday market fluctuations.

#31     Mar 14, 2007
  2. I trade NAZ, nyse, and all my stuff is 100% custom coded from scratch.

#32     Mar 14, 2007
  3. Dustin

Dustin

It's understandable that you could think this if you haven't been trading long, but what you will come to learn is that there are a million ways to make money in the markets. There will always be someone willing to take the other side of a trade in a liquid market.

What one system may see as a shorting opportunity, another system may be scaling into a larger long position as the stock goes down. There are 999,998 more examples but it would take too long.

#33     Mar 14, 2007
  4. rosy2

rosy2

my firm does automated trading and quoting. our traders set parameters or make sure everything is working.

#34     Mar 14, 2007
  5. Neet

Neet

I have fully automated system that runs off the tape drive of a Vic 20.

It prints money on the dot matrix printer, unfortunately the money is no good.

#35     Mar 14, 2007
  6. And now for a short break.

Wall Street pic :D

[​IMG]

#36     Mar 14, 2007
  7. What happens when the markets "change" and the system is "no longer working" ?
    (Hint: parameters = curve fitting to history)

#37     Mar 14, 2007
  8. Fully automated systems do exist. I have been in the game since around early 2000. Returns over the years have ranged around 100% monthly to other more scalable systems that currently do 20% monthly on average and even the more scalable systems do have their limitations. I must say that since I ended up in this realm, I could never look at the markets the same again. Every portion of the system from front end to back end to Order Management, viewing and so on is 100 percent custom designed by in house programmers and has to be in my opinion.

#38     Mar 14, 2007
  9. virgin

virgin

On what max size can you do 100 % and on what max size 20 % monthly ?
    What is the average trade duration of those systems ?

#39     Mar 14, 2007
  10. Let's take the low end of that range, scalable 20% monthly and 4 years. Starting with $100k that's $630M gross compounded monthly. The world's smartest quants working for the world's biggest hedge funds can't even come close to the figures you're quoting. Something is exponentially off or you'll soon be the first trillionaire..

#40     Mar 14, 2007