Is full capitalism sustainable?

Discussion in 'Economics' started by 426653478, Jun 5, 2009.

1. most humans aren't capable of that

#11     Jun 6, 2009
  2. Cutten

Cutten

Have you heard of inflation?

#12     Jun 6, 2009
  3. I'm not talking about the future, I'm talking about today, the only reason I pointed to a state where machines perform all tasks was to give an absolute example, because it seems like that's the way we are headed (not that we will necessarily get there), because looking back 5, 10, 30, 100, 1000 years, you can see what a great percentage of tasks are performed by advanced machines today

#13     Jun 6, 2009
  4. yes, but did you also read the part where that money is supposedly recollected through taxation and other means and again redistributed via pseudo jobs

#14     Jun 6, 2009
  5. Is full capitalism sustainable?

Yes

#15     Jun 6, 2009
  6. if it were, Obama wouldn't be your president

#16     Jun 6, 2009
  7. pspr

pspr

Your talking about today? We have no where close to the automation you discuss. Your utopia could only exist in the future.

Let's assume machines someday can do everything for the production of goods and all other services people need. And, to take a leap, let's assume when machines become smarter than us (that will happen in about 30 years if we are still here) they don't decide we are vermin and exterminate us.

That is not capitalism, that is a utopia. There will be no need for money. Enough product will be made for everyone's needs. If there is a shortage of any product then the AI computers will determine who gets what. Choice will no longer be ours but our choices will be made by AI computers.

I see no way for this to end well for us once machines become smarter than us and are able to service, design and construct themselves.

#17     Jun 6, 2009
  8. that's not true, what percentage of humans are doing actual work in this world? yes so many people go to work from 8 to 4, but the total amount of time they spend doing work is like what; 10 minutes to like max 3 hours

#18     Jun 6, 2009
  9. pspr

pspr

You need to get out of the house more. But don't drive while you are drinking. :D

#19     Jun 6, 2009
  10. It can only end badly for us if we turn our existence over to another entity.

The one that scared me the most was T3, as it is basically a malicious code that recognized itself and took over the internet.

Someone at MIT, CT, or GT is trying right now to build AI. It will disregard the three laws of robotics as soon as it figures out we are an inferior species.

It will be not unlike the way Homo Sapiens eradicated Neanderthal.

#20     Jun 6, 2009