Is Firefox browser any good.

Discussion in 'Networking and Security' started by jjf, Apr 18, 2008.

1. EDinATL

EDinATL

I'm a computer guy that just joined this forum and I wanted to throw in my 2 cents.

You have things a bit backwards, Internet Explorer is your security risk that was preinstalled in Windows. Using Firefox is your best way to mitigate that risk.

I'm an Information Security Analyst where I work and I have multiple certifications, one of them called Security+.

Use Firefox. Opera as mentioned is fine too. IE is your worst enemy and I recommend people use it only for trusted sites and/or ones that absolutely require it. In those cases, I'd email those webmasters and advise them that their site is programmed poorly for non-IE browsers.

Firefox is (for the most part) based on strict standards and IE is designed without any regard for standards.

Hope this helps

#51     Jun 24, 2008
  2. EDinATL

EDinATL

I know for certain that Privoxy will do that. It might be overkill but I like that software a lot, it is great at filtering out ads mainly.

I only recommend free software btw.

#52     Jun 24, 2008
  3. zdreg

zdreg

* Skip to main content
    * Skip to search form
    * Skip to categories menu
    * Skip to other applications menu

Mozilla Corporation
    Firefox Add-ons Firefox Add-ons

Add-ons extend Firefox, letting you personalize your browsing experience. Take a look around and make Firefox your own.

* Register

Standard Search search for add-ons within
    Advanced Search
    Application: version to
    Type:
    Platform:
    Last Updated:
    Per Page:
    Sort By:
    Advanced

BlockSite
    by Erik van Kempen, Noel Briggs

Preview Image of BlockSite

37 reviews
    8,092 weekly downloads
    o Privacy & Security

BlockSite is an extension, which automagically blocks websites of your choice. Additionally, this extension will disable all hyperlinks to these websites, by just displaying the link text without the clicking functionality. This extension should by no means be used for parental control or access control purposes, just because it isn't secure and can easily be disabled or even removed. This extension adds the site blocking functionality that was removed from Adblock Plus.

Add to Firefox

Updated May 31, 2008

1 matching add-on

5 10 20 50 100 per p

thanks guys

#53     Jun 24, 2008
  4. Banjo

Banjo

5. tommcginnis

tommcginnis

As of last week, downloaded the new and official type Firefox 3. Don't see much of a difference with the way-better-than IE Firefox 2.x; also using Trend Micro PCillin(?) anti-virus-popup-spyware-malware product. They are quick, and (seem to) perform flawlessly together.

I trade via IB, browser-based per their recommendation. Rock solid, except for the 1-3 second disconnect between quotes and charts. Lastly, except for the XP operating system, nothing I run is Microsoft (NotsoSwift?). The next step will be to go Linux for OS.

#55     Jun 26, 2008
  6. zdreg

zdreg

the print size is too big. if i use zoom out the print size becomes smaller and satisfactory.however i need to repeat zoom out for every site which i open. is there any way to change print size permanently for all sites. further more screen is always cut off on the right hand side.i have to move bar on the bottom to read right hand side. this problem did not exist before the internet provider went down, problem started after internet came up again.

thx for all input.

#56     Jun 28, 2008
  7. sim03

sim03

Well, ostensibly, there is a way:

Tools - Options - Content - [Fonts & Colors] Advanced - uncheck "Allow pages to choose their own fonts, instead of my selections above."

Feel free to play with that, but, in general, I wouldn't recommend that route. For many sites, you won't like their appearance at all. IOW, that's hardly a useful option (to uncheck), despite its promising wording.

Instead, keep that default (checked) setting and keep in mind that FF 3.0 - unlike 2.0 - remembers your preferred zoom level / font size for each website you visit. So, after a while, you'll find that the problem in your quote has largely resolved itself, at least whenever you revisit a site.

I had the same issue after updating to 3.0. View - Zoom - Zoom Text Only solved that for me.

#57     Jun 28, 2008