Is facebook really worth 10 billion?

Discussion in 'Economics' started by noob_trad3r, May 26, 2009.

1. Facebook isn't worth much. It's a free site with stupid advertisers. Diet pill links aren't going to make billions of dollars.

#11     May 26, 2009
  2. is facebook really worth 10 billion...?

should high risk bad debt be marked as AAA...?

do people really think they can make money with twitter?

people make things wat they want them to be

#12     May 26, 2009
  3. dewton

dewton

something is very wrong when the public values a company (ie. facebook) that produces absolutely nothing valuable / tangible to society 3 times as much as AMD. (AMD-3 bil.; facebook-10 bil.) AMD's products are at the heart of modern human civilization. facebook produces nothing. this truly illustrates the stupidity of the masses.

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." - Albert Einstein

#13     May 26, 2009
  4. It's not worth that amount of money. The way these websites value their businesses is more ridiculous than an Angelo Mozillo "MBS mark-to-model" approach. They put dollar values on hits and ridiculous stuff like that. It's a sham, all the way around. Russia cracks me up. Maybe Putin wants his own Facebook page so he can post pictures of his Judo matches and tiger-tranquilizing trips.

#14     May 26, 2009
  5. then why dont you trade against it if you think you are much smarter ;-)

While I believe that AGAIN Russia is making a complete fool of itself by publicly displaying its complete lack of understanding about long-term valuations and while the CEO of Facebook should really grab the money and run as fast as he can if proposed a good deal it makes absolutely no sense to relate short-term trading to long-term valuations.

Its easy to say GOOG was too overvalued when it traded at 700 but only rigorous trend followers would have probably sold/shorted it around the 630 levels.

#15     May 26, 2009
  6. 4XQs

4XQs

I think Facebook has a lot of value, although it's price would depend upon it's partners. If it were to hook up with Google, I bet some interesting advertising revenue could be made.

As of now it looks like they're doing it by themselves (or Microsoft?) which probably cannot come anything close to what a juggernaut like Google would be able to do with it. With Google I think a couple of billions would make sense, but with what they're doing right now it wouldn't justify such a price tag.

Imagine, no click fraud because everything is traceable to who clicked at what time - the targeting could be very sophisticated (groups, networks, friends) and pretty complex pricing schedules could be created.

#16     May 27, 2009
  7. AK100

AK100

How true. I like the bit about 'after the first 100 emails' because that implies you'll get about 500!

#17     May 27, 2009
  8. bradleyt

bradleyt

Naw - not a noob.. but Facebook is worth gold in ad dollars and face recognition. MySpace is worth more but Facebook is becoming more for the adult population.

#18     May 27, 2009
  9. Neither have been able to monetize their potential ad dollars and it has been years. It's just not there and probably never will be. Myspace is already going out to window as the SPAM overtakes it. Facebook will follow.

#19     May 27, 2009
  10. Think outside the box. People like you are quick to laugh at others, while showing your own ignorance.

It's not about buying an investment to flip it. It's about access to the Facebook user base, as well as data mining. This is a geopolitical investment, not a speculative one.

#20     May 27, 2009