Is experience at a prop firm required to be a successful retail trader?

Discussion in 'Prop Firms' started by gambleditall, Sep 27, 2018.

1. S-Trader

S-Trader

Why "higher than a 51% success rate"?

#41     Sep 29, 2018
  2. If I were to tell you that losing is the prerequisite and that giving up might be an extreme for some...but then they come back.

I believe you have to be good when trading as you are exiting and entering with thousands of traders competing to be profitable.

Trading with the goal of being with the upper 0.001% is the hardest thing I have ever undertaken in my life.

ES

#42     Sep 29, 2018
    MarkBrown likes this.
  3. Exactly! Most of the best traders did work in industry before venturing out on their own.

Why don’t you start? How did you find your edge. What is the process to find your edge?

Yeah actually you don’t need higher than 51% but then you will need higher risk reward. So my mistake.

#43     Sep 29, 2018
    S-Trader likes this.
  4. Patelchet

Patelchet

Is that inherent confirmation bias we all have?

#44     Sep 29, 2018
  5. qlai

qlai

Still searching ...

Well that's the problem for the retail guy isn't it! You are left at the mercy of online educators. FWIW, I think the process is to identify the type of trading which fits your personality (not that easy as you need to understand yourself well). Once identified, find people doing similar style and learn from them - you can use them as a benchmark as market conditions change. Finally, trade the style to let experience refine it into your own unique style, hopefully creating your edge.

#45     Sep 29, 2018
  6. Mnewton

Mnewton

It sure does help as there are others there doing the same thing and you can pick up on good ways to trade

#46     Sep 29, 2018
  7. I actually believe in traders helping traders...dash the thought this is 2018.

ES

#47     Sep 29, 2018
  8. There are a lot of people here in ET that I would like to thank for your support and help. You know who you are

Thank You.

ES

#48     Sep 29, 2018
  9. Handle123

Handle123

In the late 1980s/early 1990s I was stumped on how to make profits in long term commodities, and I paid big bucks for mentors, which never worked. It dawned on me the commercials seldom lost, they either grew the product or processed the product and hedged with futures. I had to relearn charting in a different way, not as a retail trader but as a commercial trader, and it evolved over years to decades to where I am today. And it is almost impossible to learn by those doing the same as I don't see ADM opening their doors to let anyone to watch them.

One's "edge" changes as time goes by, what you once thought was important, 40 years later, completely opposite.

"Traders helping traders"..sounds like a Woodie infomercial? Trade the CCI without price bars. The blind leading the blind, cause anyone that is good is trading and won't give up their edge to retail or worse the sharks who are waiting for others to post anything worth while. The ones who scream the loudest, don't want to learn how to program and test their ideas, they want others to work their rumps off and display all the stats, then later on cry when something doesn't work. Unless you learn how to do it yourself, you will never be able to adapt. Either way, after a few pages on the forum, they get attacked by those who don't trade but tell their wives they are "learning" so they don't have to go back to getting a job making coffee.

I have gotten many ideas off the forum and when tested, 99% fail, perhaps I didn't understand clear enough of posters idea but most likely patterns works during isolated periods. Then try to identify these periods takes much more time then discover very few trades exist where it might work out.

#49     Sep 30, 2018
  10. zdreg

zdreg

that is why HFT traders have programmers on their team,who then share in the profits

Last edited: Sep 30, 2018
    #50     Sep 30, 2018