Is Eurodollar not for day trade?

Discussion in 'Index Futures' started by 0008, Dec 26, 2002.

1. 0008

I look at the intraday chart of ED, it seems to have very small movement. Is it not for daytrade?

2. cheeks

cheeks

No. The daily range is just too small.

3. T-bonds and notes are better for day trading if you want an interest rate product. The globex ED futures do not trade with any volume during the day, so that is another reason not to daytrade them. ED is an excellent product for longer term trading however.

4. Eurodollar Pit has all the locals doing spreads of different contracts.

If you want to trade it short term. Trade the Eurodollar spreads.

Robert

5. wild

wild

re: ED volume

the ED is the most actively traded US futures contract. the March (H), June (M), September (U) and December (Z) 2003 ED contracts have the highest volume ... for the time being.

regards

wild

6. bone

bone

I won't daytrade it until they enable Globex trading on the full-size contract during the day. I'm hoping that will happen after the Merc goes public. If I can't trade it electronically, I'm not going to trade it.

7. 0008

At the present moment, how do the traders trade ED? Is it possible to trade it through IB or other online brokers?

8. cheeks

cheeks

A friend of mine use to work in the ED pit. His advice to me(I am a short-term retail trader) was to find something else to trade.

However, to answer your questions

1. Off the floor, I do not know.

2. Not sure. I justed noticed that ED is traded on Globex now, so it is probably available at IB. That may make it somewhat interesting, if there is any vol on Globex.

9. cyberfish

cyberfish

Cheeks, why specifically did your friend not recommend you to day trade ED?

10. I guess he is looking out for his friend coz he knows how paper is treated once it gets in the pit. If people ask me what commodities NOT to trade. I would tell them not to trade coffee and cocoa coz those futures pit doubles as a meat shop (i.e. brokers acting as butchers).

#10     Dec 27, 2002