is economics worth majoring in.

Discussion in 'Economics' started by mags29464, Sep 10, 2012.

1. dealmaker

dealmaker

Economics is a very good choice but even a better choice would be Finance...

#31     Sep 12, 2012
  2. the1

the1

I absolutely, positively hate accounting. You shouldn't have to take more than 2 accouting classes -- financial and managerial. Just do what you gotta do to get through them. I suspect you'd have to take these two classes with a Econ major as well.

My advice would be to become fluent in a programming language, ideally C++, and then do the Applied Mathematics program. I had job offers before I even graduated.

#32     Sep 12, 2012
  3. You have to understand accounting to understand financial statements etc. It will grow on you.

#33     Sep 12, 2012
  4. I always hear that and yet my former co-worker has 9 job openings as a recruiter for C# or java developer. Both are contract based for 6-9 months here in Denver and pay well. Is that because a programmer doesn't develop?

#34     Sep 12, 2012
  5. I understand financial statements just fine. but having to sit their and itemize and balance those numbers is annoying as hell. its the height of busy work. I'd never be a cfo....

#35     Sep 12, 2012
  6. Yes, actually I do see many job openings for developers which does involve programming so if you can get on that side of the business you are doing good.

Also, again I would suggest looking for a something you think you are good at and will enjoy doing for many years. Maybe look at different job descriptions and see what they involve and what degree was a prerequisite for it. I actually have an Econ degree, and it did not help me get any job. My IT background got me many high paying jobs in the past.

Today was a min wage day, I made what someone works all day for min wage to make, but did it in less than 1 hour of trading, and screwed around for the rest of the day. Maybe I will write a book in the near future on how to make money by employing the strategies of rich people.

#36     Sep 12, 2012
  7. The only people I know who have econ degrees are a few dickhead consultants in Boston. They wear vests on their Mens Warehouse shirts, make no money and produce little.

#37     Sep 12, 2012
  8. morganist

morganist Guest

If that is what you want then why not do a degree in International Financial and Capital Markets?

They used to offer it at my university it was hard.

#38     Sep 13, 2012
  9. I would definitely take Macro and Micro but minor in Econ. I dont know if an Econ major is a good idea these days.

#39     Sep 13, 2012
  10. wow, who knew economics was such a shit major? is math with economics focus any better? Yall may have me going back to engineering...

#40     Sep 13, 2012