is economics worth majoring in.

Discussion in 'Economics' started by mags29464, Sep 10, 2012.

1. I really interested in understanding the markets (both global and local) with more depth. I plan to create my own philosophies when it comes to investments so Im not looking for any practical knowledge when it comes to trading because I already trade and understand how little academics can add when it comes to generating money through trading.

I want to become better at interpreting economic data and how it affects the markets and economy.

also I want to have credentials when or if I decide or need to raise money. I'd feel way more comfortable asking people for hard earned money if I have some academic weight behind me. although I feel confident in my ability already I think potential partners like degrees and track record over strong words.

lastly it would be nice to have a degree as a safety net incase things go bad. hopefully I would have a degree that can land me a living wage in a worse case senerio...

#21     Sep 12, 2012
  2. morganist

morganist Guest

I would recommend Finance or Econometrics by that definition. They are hardcore degrees that are respected and will give you what you want. Remember all degrees in finance will have economic modules to them and you could opt for more if you need. Look at the course in detail and tailor it to what you want through selections. I did accounting and finance. They say accounting backgrounds are good for economics.

#22     Sep 12, 2012
  3. the1

the1

Agree. If you're good at math major in Applied Mathematics and take classes in Time Series Analysis and Stochastic Calculus. A minor in Econ wouldn't hurt but neither would not stepping foot in an economics class. After all, the market is nothing but a stream of data.

#23     Sep 12, 2012
  4. morganist

morganist Guest

Yes there is some truth to that. I would not recommend a pure economics degree. It might be worth doing a math based degree and a minor in economics. Like I said though finance is very maths based, at least the course I did was.

#24     Sep 12, 2012
  5. Have you considered welding, son?

#25     Sep 12, 2012
  6. the problem with econometrics is that my school doesn't offer it. theres an econometrics course in the economics curriculum but theres no degree of study in econometrics. I'm currently majoring in math with an economic focus, maybe this is what they consider the econometrics degree.

what is the problem with economics as a major? why is it not respected? Is it too easy?

#26     Sep 12, 2012
  7. morganist

morganist Guest

It is not a bad degree but there are better. Math based sciences are harder and better respected. Also economics is not a pure science you could learn something that is not accepted later on, which is what is happening now. As a macroeconomist I know what they are teaching is irrelevant so it is not worth it as far as I am concerned. Do they offer finance that might be a better option. It is hard and covers investment, which is what you want.

#27     Sep 12, 2012
  8. the1

the1

I did my undergrad in Finance and found it didn't open many doors then I did my masters in Quantitative Finance, which is similar to this program. They have changed it a bit since I went there. If you can get through this program it will open A LOT of doors!

http://www.iit.edu/csl/am/programs/course_descriptions.shtml

#28     Sep 12, 2012
  9. emg

emg

nice

[​IMG]

Illinois Institute of Technology is an excellent school for those could not get in university of chicago (ivy school)

#29     Sep 12, 2012
  10. does finance include study of global markets and macroeconomic topics? I really want big picture education.

i gotta admit also, i have no problem with math but accounting classes i suffer through them. the finance curriculum has a lot of accounting and managerial classes i dont care for. it does have some nice classes but i also see some painful courses included also.

#30     Sep 12, 2012