Is ebay destined to fall and why?

Discussion in 'Stocks' started by limbo, Jun 10, 2011.

1. I don't know what else to tell you aside from the fact that you are very misinformed about craigslist. Might have to do with where you live, but more than likely, you're just making assumptions with little basis. It's not safe? You can do a Paypal transaction if you want to be safe. You can also inspect the product on site, like with electronics.

I have sold anything from coins, bullion, electronics, furniture, books, CD, DVDs, vinyl, antiques, vintage home decor, clothing, flatware, silverwear, art supplies and god knows what else on both Craigslist & Ebay. I am only recently getting into Amazon. Ebay keeps getting less and less of the business as time goes on. Craigslist gets the bulk of it and I do not discriminate. I go for the better deal.
    I normally would have sold video games & systems on there and am now taking that business to Amazon, along with CDs and books.

Ebay will always have certain niches, like just today I bought some CD mailers. It's also great for some hard to find items, discontinued brands or funky stuff. But for anything common household, the deals are elsewhere. I honestly think that Amazon will keep making the dent into Ebay, as they move into more and more products. If Amazon pushes an auction platform, Ebay will be done and might as transition their business model to Paypal.

#31     Jun 14, 2011
  2. For any e-tailer will that the entire reason to be in business is profit. After sustainable profit models are constructed. The next logical step for any business is market dominance. The competition will pursue a profitable business and assimilate or incorporate ideas and concept. E-Bay Amazon, Etsy, Ruby Lane, Craig list and others will fight for market share.
    More than likely E-bay will hold their market until the market and mode of commerce changes to the next model. In roads made into the US market share by other e-commerce sites from non native locations might have enough capital to create a shift. There is a a hierarchyand the corperation is on top, just the way it is.

Akuma

#32     Jun 14, 2011
  3. Yes you can use paypal for craigslist, but, paypal is ebay, so in order to compete with ebay they have to use an ebay service in which they profit from?...dont think ebay will mind that and it will only help them continue their ownership of the market.

I have used craigslist a lot, and I do live in a large metro area. I may be biased to the craigslist market where I live...but then again aren't we all?...since craigslist is a local service?....I have purchased items off of craigslist to flip on ebay from many other areas (from google searching craigslist nation wide)......but I'll only do it if I can use paypal....which again, is costing the seller the paypal fees, and those fees are going to ebay, ultimately.

but ok, fair enough - one thing I very much do agree with is that Amazon is someone who could take down ebay if the put a similar model in place.....sellers are fed up and hate ebay...but there is no direct alternative to it...that is why so many just bit the bullet and keep using it.

I think ebay can be taken down, I just don't think craigslist is any threat....Amazon or Google could be, and likely will be.

#33     Jun 14, 2011