Is disagreeing with someones politics a personal attack?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by ChkitOut, Aug 24, 2012.

1. on the surface you wouldn't think so yet mostly everyone takes it very personal, hence the rage. I don't get it.

If i say, i think obama is an idiot or romney is an idiot, does that mean i'm calling you an idiot? because that is the general reaction.

People get less upset if i called their girlfriend or wife an idiot. now thats just weird.

2. pspr

pspr

Yeah. When we call liberals, 'stupid liberals', I don't understand why they get upset. They know they are stupid liberals but take it so personal.

Damn stupid liberals. :D

3. If it's a liberal it's passion, if it's a republican it's a racist personal attack.

4. People should not take politics personally. I think people who do are under the unfortunate illusion that they have as individuals any real control of the ship they are sailing.

And pspr, conservative have nothing ever but stand in the way of human progress.:D

5. pspr

pspr

You're an idiot if you believe that. But then we all know you're an idiot.

I guess conservatives shouldn't have stood in the way of the liberal KKK.

“Founded in 1866 as a Tennessee social club, the Ku Klux Klan spread into nearly every Southern state, launching a ‘reign of terror‘ against Republican leaders black and white.”

http://www.nationalblackrepublicans...KKKKTerroristArmoftheDemocratParty&page_id=93

6. Bingo.

7. As a liberal, with many conservative friends, mainly back in the U.S. I can say that we can carry on good conversations, and we respect each other. But, then again, we actually take to the time to learn about each other, either through our work or social time together. There is much more than politics, and it's too bad that the U.S. is so torn.

8. I have many friends, both liberal and conservative, and we seem to get along fine. Maybe that's because I'm neither a liberal nor a conservative (I'm conservative on economic issues and liberal on most social issues) and my friends hold out hope that they can win me over fully to their side.

I think a lot of the anger, and even hatred, we see today is because of the fanatacism of some people's political beliefs. They're no different than religious extremists who believe that anyone who disagrees with them or insults their leader should be killed. Sadly, that angry attitude (always hurling insults) seems to be growing more intense on both the left and the right.

I've met people who won't even associate with anyone who disagrees with them politically. There's a woman in our neighborhood who won't let her daughter play with our youngest daughter because she "suspects" that my wife and I may be Republicans (actually, I'm a registered Independent and my wife can't vote because she's a citizen of another country).

It's a sad situation when people stop talking to each other because they disagree -- that's when they really need to engage and try to understand their differences.

9. You have lost your mind. The KKK as liberal? No, the KKK stood in the way of progress. They did not want blacks in government. They wanted things the way they always were.

That was stupid, pspr. So stupid, you get a do over. Try again.:)

10. Why do so many think it's so hard to be a social liberal and a fiscal conservative? I think it's just the extreme haters, but so many here on ET it seems.

#10     Aug 24, 2012