Is democracy any good ??

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Humpy, Nov 7, 2009.

1. Humpy

Humpy

There is a famous quote from Winston Churchill about how poor democracy is, but noone has come up with anything better.

The West has tried to parachute democracy in on Iraq and now Afghanistan. Doomed to failure in both places imho

So who can suggest some improvements or are we stuck with the present system of smash and grab by the selfish ?

More American dream and blueberry pie dear ?

2. loik

loik

Classic liberalism/laissez-faire capitalism

3. Another Churchill favorite, "Americans can always be counted on to do the right thing, after they've tried everything else."

4. Humpy

Humpy

How reassuring to see that at least someone on the planet has an interest in the topic. Looked almost certain to disappear in a sea of apathy at one time.

I expect many forward looking politicians and political scientists would also welcome improvements to our woefully inadequate political system.

Just to kick off hopefully an interesting debate may I propose the Upper House is elected only by people over 50 and under 70. They have lifetimes of experience to call upon and should make a more informed choice.

Please don't feel too shy to put forward your ideas - who knows they might save the planet :)

5. aegis

aegis

Democracy is temporary.

6. Lucrum

Lucrum

-Congressional term limits
    When perpetual re election is no longer an issue, the whole political landscape will change for the better.
    We have term limits for the President, why not congress and probably the Supreme Court as well.

-Drastically reduce the size of congress
    I'm absolutely certain it does not require 535 self serving buffoons to <s>run</s> ruin a country. Fifty senators and one hundred representatives would be plenty.

-Simplified flat/fair tax
    EVERYONE should have some skin in the game and you should not need a tax accountant to fill out your return.
    Voters who work and pay taxes tend to vote a little different.

-Minimum Voter qualifications
    If you haven't paid taxes in the last X number of years, if you're not at least 21 years old and if you can't pass a simple civics questionnaire then you don't vote this election. Try again next time.

7. Fair tax is a badge of moronhood. congrats on being a neal boortz drone.

8. TGregg

TGregg

I'd spiff this one up a bit. If you have received any government handouts over $5000 in the last 12 months you don't get to vote. If you can't answer a few simple questions about the various offices, then you don't get to vote for them. Questions like "How many senators does your state have? What is the length of a single term? What are the different branches of government and their different purposes?"

It seems to me that the people who are receiving the taxpayer money shouldn't get to vote on how much they get. And if you don't know very much about a particular job in DC, then you shouldn't be picking a person for that job.

9. Lucrum

Lucrum

Fair taxes are moronic?

I guess coming from a bag boy at Publix who supports Obama and thinks Stalin is to be revered, I shouldn't be surprised right?

10. Fair tax is what neal boortz calls a proposal for a national sales tax instead of income taxes. It will destroy the middle class so yes anybody who supports it is a moron.

I never said Stalin is to be revered, I said Stalin was the best leader Russia/Soviet Union could have for that particular time and that comes from knowing a lot more history than buttheads like you.

#10     Nov 10, 2009