Is Dell OK?

Discussion in 'Stocks' started by 0008, Nov 24, 2008.

1. 0008

Its price dropped quite a lot. Is it OK? Or it just follows the market. If it collapsed where to buy cheap computers?

2. aresky

aresky

Dell Shares Seem Excessively Cheap
    April 14, 2009

"It has been a long time since I can recall seeing a blue chip company like Dell (DELL) carry such a meager stock market valuation. It is true that Hewlett Packard (HPQ) has been stealing market share from Dell in recent years, and even overtook them as the world’s leading computer maker, but investors seem to be pricing Dell stock as if they are no longer relevant in the computer hardware marketplace. Given that Dell remains number two worldwide in PC shipments, I think pronouncements of their death may be greatly exaggerated.

Just how cheap are Dell shares? Well, Dell currently has about $8.8 billion of net cash on their balance sheet, which equates to nearly half of their share price ($4.50 per share in net cash versus a stock price of $10 and change). Total cash of $5.50 per share (excluding debt) is more than 50% of their current share price. I can’t name another profitable blue chip company that trades at just two times net cash.

Given the low stock price, Dell’s operations must be going horribly wrong, right? Well, not really. For their latest fiscal year, which ended January 31st, Dell earned an operating profit of $3.2 billion. Subtract out income taxes and Dell’s operating businesses are earning about $2.4 billion per year. This compares very favorably to their enterprise value of around $11 billion. At $10 per share, Dell stock trades at less than 5 times operating earnings. Is it a stretch to think it could fetch twice that price sometime down the road? Not in my view.

http://seekingalpha.com/article/130804-dell-shares-seem-excessively-cheap

3. .....trade at 2 times earnings?..... There! That should mark the bottom. :cool: