Is daytrading easier now than a year ago?

Discussion in 'Trading' started by baggerlord, Aug 5, 2003.

1. Dustin

Dustin

The market was much more volatile last summer which gave most of us traders more opportunity.

#11     Aug 5, 2003
  2. Last summer alone gave me about half of my profits for the year... reminded me of the good old days...

#12     Aug 5, 2003
  3. dbphoenix

dbphoenix

There are two questions being addressed here: is daytrading easier than it was a year ago and is the market easier than it was a year ago. For me, the market is much more difficult than it was a year ago, but the trading has become much easier because the tougher environment has forced an iron discipline which I did not have last summer. Therefore, I'm making more money now than I was then.

#13     Aug 5, 2003

4. Same here, last July was amazing.

#14     Aug 5, 2003
  5. Dustin

Dustin

Ditto...

July/Aug were half of my year's P&L.

#15     Aug 5, 2003
  6. ... your "scientific method" needs work.

... and you want to write a book?!?!?!

#16     Aug 5, 2003
  7. Please elaborate!

Only in case there's actually any substance to your argument, of course...

~Scientist

#17     Aug 5, 2003
  8. I think last summer had more "residual momentum" on an intra-day basis. In other words, a break of minor/major S/R had more follow thru and traded "cleaner". I also think the selling, up until july 24th, was more "natural selling",which combined with program trading created this momentum follow thru...

#18     Aug 5, 2003
  9. EricP

EricP

I agree 100%. Easier last summer due to the higher level of volatility.

-EricP

#19     Aug 5, 2003
  10. For my style (buying bottoms/selling tops with volume divergence) this year has been easier. I got stopped out in more trends last year. I've been able to use tighter stops this year also. So I trade more contracts to keep the total risk per-trade the same. Some year I'll learn how to trade trends in the emini. For now, I love divergence trading.

#20     Aug 5, 2003