Is Daytrading a Random Event?

Discussion in 'Trading' started by LelandC, Jun 6, 2002.

1. sorry, but what a bad statement. you can apply many trading techniques to many time frames.

#31     Jun 7, 2002
  2. :eek: "Gekko!"

(from the movie)

hmmm, couldn't get the font to shrink...

My favorite Gekko line: "That's the thing about WASPS. They love animals, but hate people."

#32     Jun 7, 2002
  3. if you think trading is random, ask yourself if it is hard to lose money (discounting commissions). of course it is easy to lose money...many people do. if you could do the exact opposite, you would be trading correctly. trading is not random. there are some elements to the stock market that are random, but not everything...and definitely not when it comes to "trading."

#33     Jun 7, 2002
  4. we need someone like tony oz to respond to this.. not a bunch of people who aren't making money. lol

p.s. i'm gonna email him a link to this thread..maybe he'll respond..he comes here sometimes.

#34     Jun 7, 2002

5. This guys' not Tony Oz, but he knows a little about trading.

"The markets are not random. I don't care if the number
    of academicians who have argued the efficient market
    hypothesis would stretch to the moon and back if laid end
    to end; they are simply wrong.

The markets are not random, because they are based on
    human behavior, and human behavior, especially mass
    behavior, is not random. It never has been, and it
    probably never will be."...Jack D. Schwager

#35     Jun 7, 2002
  6. Cesko

Cesko

"we need someone like tony oz to respond to this.. not a bunch of people who aren't making money. lol
    Yeah, just wait when he shows up, he is gonna tell you something nobody knows anything about!!:confused: :confused:

#36     Jun 7, 2002
  7. hahahahahahahahahahaha:D

#37     Jun 7, 2002
  8. How can you say trading ...day trading or otehrwise, is random? You and I both know there are some people who conisstently make money, month after month, year after year. That's not luck or coincidence. Take a look at Steve A Cohen's daytrading hedge fund. SAC runs over $1B in assets and most of his trades are intra day trades. Tell him that his profits are "lucky" or "random" and he'll laugh in your face and tell you to go back to the ignorant hole you crawled out of.

#38     Jun 7, 2002
  9. stevet

stevet

the difference between a succesful trader and a losing trader is experience - and an experienced trader uses the fact that markets are not random in order to make money

#39     Jun 7, 2002
  10. cmz1

cmz1

people with large capital and more info such as the orders out there make cash. But for the rest of us, the time frame of one day or less is completely random. No need to get upset, but just accept it. One will not consistently making a living trading the secondary market with a less than 1 day time frame.

#40     Jun 7, 2002