Is COMCAST the cause of your data feed troubles?

Discussion in 'Data Sets and Feeds' started by bigpig41, Jan 31, 2008.

1. .......

2. That really is naughty behavior on the part of Comcast and violates one of the principles of the net - that traffic should be carried over TCP without regard to its content and without interfering with the operation of the TCP protocol.

It is also dishonest of Comcast to not disclose this in contracts offered to retail customers.

If the motivation is to reduce congestion, there are better ways of doing traffic shaping as the article suggests and these should be disclosed to customers in transparent contracts.

Only one solution - get another ISP.

3. anybody know how scalping a fast moving stock on Verizon DSL setup would compare to doing it on a Comcast setup?

4. mtwokay

mtwokay

Yes, nothing but trouble at home and office since they took over time warner. I now use DSL at home as my primary feed and Comcast as backup.

Don't think for a moment you'll receive priority support with their business class service. The week of thanksgiving, my office was down three days, just because of a failed cable modem.

Two weeks ago at the office Comcast ground to a halt. After two days of waiting for someone to answer their business class support line I gave up. In desperation I called their retail support number. After 2 hours on the phone waiting for the nice lady to find someone that could help I was told there was a 48 to 72 hour wait for business class support. That was the straw that broke the camels back. The next day I called CBeyond for a full T1 and converted my phone system to VOIP.

In the interim I discovered Comcast's DNS servers were the problem. So now I'm using opendns and Comcast cable till CBeyond is operational.

I have no choice but DSL and Comcast at home. If I had the option of another cable provider I would dump Comcast in a new york minute.

When Time Warner was in charge, I was rarely down and they always gave priority to business class services.

Comcast is the first company I would actually like to see go under. All their money is going to commercials, not support. Don't touch Comcast if you have the option.

5. mtwokay: What are comcast's "DNS" servers?

6. mtwokay

mtwokay

Domain Name Server - resolves domain names to ip address.

7. Switching providers likely will not be a solution, as it seems they all will be sticking their nose into what we do online...

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/22707271/

I had posted this under "chit chat" a while ago...here is an exerpt...

NEW YORK - Time Warner Cable Inc said on Wednesday it is planning a trial to bill high-speed Internet subscribers based on their amount of usage rather than a flat fee, the standard industry practice.

The second largest U.S. cable operator said it will test consumption-based billing with subscribers in Beaumont, Texas later this year as a part of a strategy to help reduce congestion of its network by a minority of consumers who pay the same monthly fee as light users.