Is chart trading dead? (At least when it comes to ES)

Discussion in 'Index Futures' started by tortoise, Dec 26, 2017.

1. volpri

volpri

BINGO..you gotta love it. I did it way back before the days of the Dom and have never been able to get it out of my blood...a scalper may meander over to other methologies as the markets change but way down..deep inside...scalping rules. And it is never forgotton.

#51     Dec 27, 2017
    MACD and Slartibartfast like this.
  2. volpri

volpri

I agree, in theory, with one exception. Regardless of methodology most traders will not be successful. Simple..complicated...it doesn't matter. Usually what does most traders in are the psychological issues. I suppose that is where automation can help.

#52     Dec 27, 2017
    S-Trader likes this.
  3. Back in my professional bowling days, one old-timer used to quip, "the mind is the Devil's weapon". True in trading as well.

#53     Dec 27, 2017
  4. That made me think of the comedy bowling movie Kingpin 1996,
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Woody Harrelson lost to his nemesis because he was basically weak mentally. -- But he still ended up with the girl. and a condom endorsement.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2017
    #54     Dec 27, 2017
  5. I don't know if you follow women's golf... but at the year-ending CME Globe championship this year, Lexi Thompson had perhaps the most pressure-packed short putt in history. If she makes it, she wins (1) Player of the year, the CME championship, $500k prize money, and 2 Hall of Fame points... and she gagged that 2-foot put like a choking dog.

Like Lee Trevino said, "Pressure makes us all leak a little oil. Some more than others."

There is a lot of pressure in trading the markets... desire to win, fear of being wrong, fear of losing money and having to deal with the consequences, etc.

#55     Dec 27, 2017
  6. Regardless of the consolation prize, you always remember that you choked when having the chance to grab the brass ring. In trading, it seems the opportunity for that is a routine experience.

#56     Dec 27, 2017
  7. Manual scalping like bringing a knife to a gunfight in this day and age.

#57     Dec 27, 2017
  8. Personally I prefer to bring my knife-gun. :)

upload_2017-12-27_13-11-46.jpeg

There are tools, will they make you more profitable?

#58     Dec 27, 2017
    MACD likes this.
  9. volpri

volpri

You must not have seen the western The Big Gundown with "cuchillo" .......

#59     Dec 27, 2017
    Slartibartfast likes this.
  10. kellys

kellys

@tortoise
    Sorry to hear about your poor health of late. I hope you move beyond this and get back to full strength soon.
    Your performance could be mostly due to your condition/treatment, it is hard to tell.

What
    drives order flow and price?
    What drives volatility?

#60     Dec 27, 2017
    tortoise likes this.