Is chart trading dead? (At least when it comes to ES)

Discussion in 'Index Futures' started by tortoise, Dec 26, 2017.

1. Trading intra-day takes a toll on a healthy body. It is ok if you are profitable and still healthy but certainly not ok if you are on chemotherapy.

#31     Dec 26, 2017
    Gambit and tortoise like this.
  2. Handle123

Handle123

When times of just plain trading badly, I get gorilla conservative and use very rigid entries like H&S, Triples two minute bars, waiting for double Bullish divergence like on two minute ES, then wait for the "thrust bar" John Hill speaks of which is a bar that closes strong up above congestion, and soon after a retracement to get into to go long. Risk few ticks and go for 6-8 ticks.

#32     Dec 26, 2017
    tortoise likes this.
  3. Is chart trading dead?

If chart trading were dead, I'd be dead too!! And I ain't dead!!

#33     Dec 27, 2017
    Slartibartfast, Xela and tortoise like this.
  4. Gambit

Gambit

Thanks! I'll have to watch this. Lots of great stuff on youtube.

#34     Dec 27, 2017
    tortoise likes this.
  5. Xela

Xela

I haven't been trading anything like as long as you guys, but both the observations above describe my position perfectly. But I've never tried to trade ES and wouldn't fancy it: to me, it looks a little like watching paint dry (I do about 75% NQ and 25% CL).

#35     Dec 27, 2017
    trader99, Overnight and tortoise like this.
  6. ES and NQ not so different.

Point value of NQ is 40% of the point value of the ES, but NQ is about 2.5x more volatile.

#36     Dec 27, 2017
    tortoise likes this.
  7. Overnight

Overnight

I see differently pretty much every day.

This morning is no different.

As of right now, ES range per contract ~$150 today.

YM ~$250.

NQ ~$400.

NQ is superior when it comes to the number of entry opportunities on any given day, so it is really good for retail scalpers/intra-day traders.

#37     Dec 27, 2017
  8. Not really. Both tend to make their reversals at the same time.

With higher NQ volatility and more violent reversals, more difficult to catch it close to the best trade point.... IOW, "more left on the table"... not to mention the more common "air pockets" in the NQ

"net" = "not that different", from where I sit.

NQ seems like it could be much more profitable for those who "consistently nail it", but not so much for us mortal traders.

Money to be made from either if traded well.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2017
    #38     Dec 27, 2017
    tortoise likes this.
  9. qxr1011

qxr1011

chart trading will never die - it's just a tool...

but one should never confuse the tool with the method , which uses the tool

and Grady (whoever he is) is not an idiot - he popularizes right ideas (for brokers and props): churning the trader's account (via trading a-la bots) is the best way for brokers and props to get the most commissions off the trader's account before the bozo will lose everything to market anyway :)

#39     Dec 27, 2017
    tortoise likes this.
  10. Good post.

I was going to chime in with "Grady is full of crap", but held my tongue (not sure why... that's not like me.) :) When you explain it from the broker's "account churning, generating commissions" perspective, makes perfect sense.

#40     Dec 27, 2017
    MACD and tortoise like this.