Is chart trading dead? (At least when it comes to ES)

Discussion in 'Index Futures' started by tortoise, Dec 26, 2017.

1. volpri

volpri

Charts show basically the same patterns as years ago. If anything the HFT's and algos have made them more precise because they are removing the emotional element.

70% or so of the trades in ES are computers. 25% are your traditional institutions and lastly 5% retail traders.

Look at any chart today. It matters not that computers created the patterns or manual traders did. The same basic patterns are there. They were there 50 years ago. They are there today. They will most certainly be there thru our lifetime.

Many HFT's are operating at a sub second level so if you are trading 5 or 15 min charts these basically won't effect you at all, at worst, little effect. Stoplosses may have to be put a little further out of reach as sometimes algo's will push price up or down and knocking out traditional stops then price immediately reverses.

#11     Dec 26, 2017
    Money Trust, Sprout, ET180 and 3 others like this.
  2. Trading is nothing like it used to be.

like the man sez
    soes was better

#12     Dec 26, 2017
  3. truetype

truetype

Not sure burnouts pining for the good ol' days adds much value to the site.

#13     Dec 26, 2017
  4. You mean hoes was better. Right?

Last edited: Dec 26, 2017
    #14     Dec 26, 2017
    Sprout and SoesWasBetter like this.
  5. I wish you luck on your chemo! Hopefully this year will.be better

#15     Dec 26, 2017
  6. Handle123

Handle123

I been ill past 9.5 years, first 2.5 years were manual trading and so hard, bathroom was my office. I traded less short term and more long, hired to get automated and all systems automated now. 2 of 14 are based on math and rest are chart/indicators based. Some monthly down to 2 tick charts, 8 scalp/daytrading, 2 HFTs, 4 swing to very long term. 40 years of staring at charts, am most comfortable there and keeping open mind. I just dont notice anything not seen before at some point. Trading and ET often been outlets to stay almost sane. LOL

#16     Dec 26, 2017
    S-Trader, Xela, ET180 and 2 others like this.
  7. Seriously though OP. If you mean charts in terms of representing quantifiable data, that’s all fine and dandy. But if you mean V, W, triangular, square, and circular price patterns, then we’re talking voodoo.

#17     Dec 26, 2017
    tortoise and Gambit like this.
  8. Jack1960

Jack1960

I made lots of money this year from charts.

#18     Dec 26, 2017
    fordewind likes this.
  9. 1. ES charts were fine this year, as always. Yes, volatility was low much of the time. That only means you should expect to make your gains in smaller chunks.

2. Spend time on becoming a better chart player. When you get a handle on that, you won't be listening to anybody for market advice.

3. K.I.S.S., as always.

#19     Dec 26, 2017
    tortoise likes this.
  10. Gambit

Gambit

This is backed by research fwiw. Andrew Lo from MIT did a massive study on technical analysis patterns if you want to check it out.

#20     Dec 26, 2017
    tortoise likes this.