Is Capital Punishment ever justified?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by hapaboy, Mar 12, 2003.

Is Capital Punishment Ever Justified?

1. Yes

39 vote(s)
    354.5%
  2. No

21 vote(s)
    190.9%
  1. You're ridiculous Maxpi.

Right, the killers would shy away if they face the prospect of death. Yeah, gangbangers are out in force because thier parents let them. All they need is to be grounded!

The death penalty has never been proven statistically or anecdotally to reduce the worst crimes.

Since you brought up the subject of low IQ, one wonders how low yours is.

#31     Mar 14, 2003
  2. I THINK IT IS FOR THE PERSON WHO STARTED THIS USELESS BORING THREAD. OH YES MOST DEFANETLY. DID I SAY WHO CARES??

#32     Mar 14, 2003
  3. "who cares"? Obviously you do, or else you wouldn't come back to the thread over and over to post nothing meaningful at all.

Which begs the question: Who is the foolish one here? Me for starting this thread, or you for following it despite saying it is useless, full of b.s., etc.?

Doesn't matter anyway. You are now on ignore.

#33     Mar 14, 2003
  4. You cannot deny that the death penalty has deterred some crimes. It is not a statistical matter but common sense. Just as punishment deters lesser crimes, death, the ultimate punishment, undoubtedly deters others.

Furthermore - and this you cannot argue against - the death penalty deters the executed criminal from murdering or raping anyone again.

When are you going to answer my question about your wife, dGAB?

Ah but yes, I'm on ignore. You can run and hide from this thread, but you can't run from the truth, the posting of which would mean you would have to admit you were WRONG.....isn't that the cardinal rule of trading?

#34     Mar 15, 2003
  5. Optional, the sad truth is that so many convicted murderers are NOT put away for life without parole. Many are released after serving relatively short sentences, often because of overcrowding and parole on the basis that they are now judged to have been rehabilitated to the extent that they are no longer a danger to society. Then they go out and destroy more innocent lives.

Granted, many prisoners do learn their lessons and do their best to fit back into society. However, the recidivity rate is, in my opinion, too high for us to proclaim that the system works. That even one person is killed or raped by a released convicted murderer or rapist is an indictment of the system, and as we all know, the statistics are much higher.

By not executing murderers, and releasing them back to their hunting grounds of free society where they kill again, are we not then allowing the killing of a bunch of innocent victims?

Aren't we in effect letting a wolf loose among the lambs?

#35     Mar 15, 2003
  6. Not only that, but many innocent men become killers in prison. Learn techniques of theft, become drug addicts, get raped and become full of hatred.

Is that a reason to kill them before they potentially commit the next crime? Or is it a reason for reform of the penal system and attempt to rehabilitate the offenders to return them to society as productive members.

#36     Mar 15, 2003
  7. First of all, how can you label someone who's in prison as "innocent"?

But no, I am referring to those who have already murdered and raped.

We have been trying to reform the system and rehabilitate the offenders for ages, with pitiful results.

Please answer the original question.

#37     Mar 15, 2003

8. Good points...

#38     Mar 15, 2003
  9. Well, take some kid who smoked dope and went to prison. Take a man who was falsely accused, and convincted on eye witness statements of someone who was lying.

Take someone who was guilty of a petty crime, yet put in with hardened criminals...

These things happen all the time.

In answer to your question:

By not executing murderers, and releasing them back to their hunting grounds of free society where they kill again, are we not then allowing the killing of a bunch of innocent victims?

Aren't we in effect letting a wolf loose among the lambs?

That is up to the parole board to let them go, up to the sentencing branch of the legal system to give them terms less than life in prison, etc.

You don't have to execute people to keep them away from society.

#39     Mar 15, 2003
  10. But how is that solving the problem? The parole boards and sentencing branches are the reasons these animals are let loose in the first place!

You haven't answered the question, unless your answer is to preserve the status quo.

If you want to prevent them from destroying innocent lives a second time, you in fact do.

#40     Mar 15, 2003