Is cable really less secure...

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by VVVWaveRiderVVV, Mar 2, 2003.

1. Is cable net access really less secure than DSL?

I've read a few of the pertinent threads on ET and it seems a lot of people like cable (many because it's faster or more reliable in their area). Where I live, cable is actually less expensive than DSL for the same speed, but I'm really concerned about the security.

Can anyone recommend a good hardware firewall that will negate the difference in security between DSL and cable?

2. I am hacking into your computer as we speak. :)

FRuiTY P. (kidding) :p

3. There are many solutions. Do you have a desktop and want an internal solution:

http://www.cdw.com/shop/products/default.asp?EDC=427878

How about a power user solution:

http://www.cdw.com/shop/products/default.asp?EDC=389921

How about a good cable modem:

http://www.cdw.com/shop/products/default.asp?EDC=326335

I guess what I am saying is you have a ton of solutions available. Determine your budget and then your needs. Also, make sure you check eBay as an alternative avenue of competitive pricing. :)

4. Whamo

Whamo

Hey canyonman00,

Would a standard Linksys router running NAT and Zone Alarm on the PC be sufficient for Cable Modem connectivity?

5. What are your worried about Re security? Terrorists hacking into your computer and disrupting the trading process? Unauthorized people getting access to files on your computer? Who has confidential files on any machine running Windows and connected to the internet in any way? As long as you do that, you will never be safe. If you use Windows, the only way to protect sensitive files is to lock the room in which your computer is located and of course not connect it to a network. Have you ever tried logging into a Windows machine as "Guest" and reading all the files you want to read. It doesn't even try to stop you. It just says: Sure, go ahead, as long as you don't try to modify anything you are welcome to browse all you want. Why would anyone need restricted read access? Where do you want to go today?

6. Actually, I think what Waverider was talking about is contrary to DSL, cable internet is 'broadcast'. The way I understand it, broascast means that e.g. T.V. signals on the cable is broadcasted, everyone with a TV hooked up to this cable could recieve the image. Same for your emails, or your internet paquets, it is broadcasted to everybody on the same cable line, except that only your Outlook with username and password would capt the message.
    Maybe Nitro or someone else could explain in deeper details.

Cheers!! :)

7. Whamo

Whamo

From what I understand, DSL is switched (its own little LAN) from the CO to your house while Cable is part of a shared LAN with other users. With Cable, your neighbor could hook up a Network General Sniffer and see the traffic that's destined for your computer. That's were the security is different between the two.

8. fourcups

fourcups Guest

I had very few problems when i trade at home through.It went down 2x in a year while i was trading @ home.Never traded on dsl so i don't know if that is better!

9. Right, put your sensitive files on a Unix machine and be absolutely guaranteed that there's no security :)

10. nitro

nitro

The biggest problem with cable is that you are sharing the local loop with a "bunch" of other users, whereas with DSL, you have a PTP connection to the DSLAM. Some cable companies have now taken some measures to make the disadvantage less, for example, by making smaller local loops, and by encrypting all cable modem activity (see below.)

At the very least, do this FROM A CLEAN INSTALL:

1) Use Windows 2000 or XP (make sure you understand the default installation weaknesses of each) then do all the updates
    2) Remove the Administrator user, make a new Admin user with a strange name that has Administrator rights and has a STRONG password, create a new user for yourself that DOES NOT have admin rights, and use this for your daily activity.
    3) Use a strong Antivirus software
    5) Install a hardware firewall. e.g. :

http://www.cdw.com/shop/products/default.asp?EDC=348765

http://www.cdw.com/shop/products/default.asp?EDC=203126

That would be the minimum to do. If you are unwilling to do that, here is some good advice I found in a recent PCMAg:

"Some older cable modems have a special kind of vulenerability that makes your system and others nearby effectively form a local area network. If your system is configured incorrectly, your drives can actually show up in your neighbors Network Neighborhood. To solve this problem, some ISP's encrypt all cable modem trafiic, while others use a strictly router based conection with no LAN-type connection to nearby users.

Find out what security measures your ISP employes. You should also install a hardware or software firewall. If you don't need file or printer sharing, turn it off..."

PC Magazine Feb 04, 2003

I strongly recommend the Feb 25 '03 PCMagazine article "Broadband's Back End" on page 61. It is the best description for the layman of all the technology that makes cable and dsl work.

nitro

#10     Mar 2, 2003