Is Cable internet buffered?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Beast84, Jun 26, 2007.

1. yeah i think mine do as well..

#21     Jun 27, 2007
  2. signed up verizon dsl today, they give a 30 day money back deal so I'm going to run it against cable

I disconnected the router and went right from the modem and disabled all firewalls and it still put into the s state with global, caught a nice trade but its scary if your just trying for 10 or 15 points and it locks up

the modem will be new so i'll see how it goes, the router is wireless

real pain in the ass that comcast says the ip address that is causing trouble in the middle is not on there list of switching components, they say they can't find it

#22     Jun 27, 2007
  3. esmjb

esmjb

i got a new question guys, sorry for going off-subject.

lets say i get a sweet connnection here in chicago that allows me to UPLOAD at 10 mb/s for the purpose of using my slingbox. and lets say i get a good connection down in brasil that lets me DOWNLOAD at 10 mb/s.

if im in brasil accessing my slingbox in chicago, will i actually be able to receive that 10mb/s or anything close to it? does my question make sense?

#23     Jun 27, 2007
  4. Joe-I meant to ask, how much time did it take to figure out ping plotter? I looked at it, about a year ago, and gave up, maybe to shortly?

I haven't had noticeable problems, maybe that is why.

#24     Jun 27, 2007
  5. Yes you will have available the full speed of your connection IF your remote connection also allows that speed or more.

#25     Jun 27, 2007
  6. I really don't know how it works but when you download the free one at the bottom of the site it loads super quick, then you enter the ip address in the box and push trace

it will pop up and show you the route your signal is taking, the pl% is important, its not supposed to have any numbers next to it but on mine it can run from 10 to 100 and the theres an err on the other side, the guy from global said this was the problem, the pl is packet loss and you don't want any

as far as the rest of it I don't know how it works

I do know that you can pull up the start menu of your computer and enter cmd in the run part and when the black box comes up then add ping (space) and any site you want to check and it will show you if the connection is good, it pings 4 times and then gives a record

you can add an ip address or something like ping yahoo.com and you will get a record

#26     Jun 27, 2007
  7. if I go and put in the run box cmd and run elitetrader.com it flies right thru and pings 4 times in milliseconds, same with prophet.net, comcast.net and yahoo.com but even if I put in globalfutures.com it will not get thru

it could be that it has to route over to newyork first

maybe somebody from the other side of the usa could try this address 64.80.155.66 for me to see if they get thru

and this one 66.150.100.86

#27     Jun 27, 2007
  8. GTS

GTS

I would not assume that you will get 10Mbps end-to-end, that makes the assumption that every link between the source and destination has that capacity available, a dangerous assumption.

The only way to know for sure is to test it. If I had to bet, I would say you wont get anywhere near 10Mbps, intra-country links tend to be saturated and you will definitely have a lot of latency caused by the physical distance from Chicago to Brazil.

#28     Jun 27, 2007
  9. GTS

GTS

All that means is the destination does not respond to ping packets (ICMP). Many sites dont

Try pinging the last hop that does respond to icmp (you can figure that out by doing a traceroute=tracert), the difference between the last hop and the second to last hop in terms of latency should be insignificant for your purposes.

13 60 ms 58 ms 58 ms gar2.lsrca.ip.att.net [12.123.199.113]
    14 60 ms 58 ms 60 ms 12.118.130.70
    15 58 ms 60 ms 59 ms 66.251.30.44
    16 63 ms 67 ms 66 ms 64.80.120.74 << Ping this
    17 * * * Request timed out.
    18 * * * Request timed out.

#29     Jun 27, 2007
  10. Personally I prefer a wired router. Don't know if that has anything to do with your difficulties though.

OldTrader

#30     Jun 27, 2007