Is buying options a mugs game?

Discussion in 'Options' started by Pkay, May 5, 2019.

1. this has to be the most ignorant shit i've ever read in my life.

#41     May 5, 2019
    GRULSTMRNN and destriero like this.
  2. destriero

destriero

His pro boys told him that in line at the soup kitchen.

#42     May 5, 2019
  3. destriero

destriero

1) You're stating that (dominant) strike volatility should increase as moneyness decreases? I don't follow.

2) There are relationships (sticky delta/strike (smile); skew modality) but PC-parity only applies to the strike combination (put and call at n-strike). Suppose the ATM vol is 12%; (25) delta strike is 15%; 25 delta strike is 10%. How would you structure the transactions to arrive at a riskless gain by selling the 15% vol and buying the 10% vol?

Can we agree on the fact that 15% vol is greater than 12 or 10? Ignore dynamic hedging in a frictionless environment.

Consider a box arbitrage. You buy the 15% vol synthetic shares at x, shorting the 14% vol synthetic shares at y. The voldiff does not impact the arbitrage. A box has no vega, only rho.

Suppose that the n-strike call trades at 12.5% vol when the can buy the put at 12.1% vol. Parity is lost due to microstructure and you can sell the 12.5% call, buy the 12.1% put and buy the shares. PC-parity is violated and the arbitrage condition would result in the number of conversions necessary to trade vols to equilibrium.

Again, ATM vol is 12 and the (25) delta strike is trading at 15%. How would you arbitrage the strike trading at 15% volatility providing for a flat vol-surface?

Same for the 25 delta strike at 10% vol. How can you reconcile a 10% vol above the market and a 15% vol below? A non lognormal distribution? Why isn't the surface symmetrical? If you think it is, why does the ATM vol stick to 12% locally?

Last edited: May 6, 2019
    #43     May 6, 2019
    Adam777 likes this.
  4. ironchef

ironchef

Didn't say should, said for example:

upload_2019-5-5_21-46-30.png

I trade CELG calls:

upload_2019-5-5_22-2-56.png

IV increased as moneyness (strike) decreased?

#44     May 6, 2019
  5. TheBigShort

TheBigShort

Why do I have a feeling CELG is 90% of your portfolio?

#45     May 6, 2019
    .sigma likes this.
  6. Talk about timing...

#46     May 6, 2019
  7. TheBigShort

TheBigShort

sorry, timing of what?

#47     May 6, 2019
  8. your bros? gauge? MANIPULATE (illegal last time I checked)? "the feast dinner"? No, I don't think you have talked about that. Else I would have been confused in the first place. What the heck are you talking about other than rambling? Yes, free lunches do exist, very rarely and hardly ever found by beginners.

Re your last recommendation, sure, put your money where your mouth is and stop trading, put your money in an investment account and enjoy the "updrift" and I will consider whether to follow or not.

Everyone who wants to survive in this game has to find his/her little edge. Plain and simple, to the point, no mumbo-jumbo, period.

#48     May 6, 2019
    cruisecontrol likes this.
  9. ya mean in da hood? In da projects?

Last edited: May 6, 2019
    #49     May 6, 2019
  10. you are the only one here who throws around with semantics. Are you blind? Everyone in this thread noticed it but you.

#50     May 6, 2019