Is buying and holding worth it?

Discussion in 'Trading' started by chrismontez, Aug 6, 2008.

1. This has probably been beaten to death already, but maybe some new opinions will be posted. Looking at just a portion of the stocks I've either bought and held, or traded in and out of over the last 5 years, almost all of them are worth less now than when I first bought them before the bull run . Some of the riskier companies I would expect that of( Tasr, CYD etc..), but major companies like GM, Ford, Intel, AMD, Sandisk, Citicorp, CSCO, have not been good places to have your money. Actually the only stocks in my portfoluo that are worth more are RIG and NOV and 10 years from now, who knows what they will be worth.

Maybe if you are 25 yrs old and have 40 years before you want you money out, holding works. But if you are looking at a 10-15 year investment, it seems to be a crap shoot.

2. You know i had bought AAPL at $12 (100 ) shares few year ago before the ipod had just been released
    When it reached $17 i sold it i was happy as i was just looking to make $400 to $500
    If i would have kept that stock till today i would have been RICH ASS $$$$$$$$$$$$
    I mean after that how many time APPL reached 200 and split you have no idea
    So if you get in the right stock at the right time and keep it long term it will defitinily pay off :)

3. I think if you're going to buy and hold it's better to look into dividend paying stocks.

Buying and holding stock means your a partial owner of the company. Shouldn't you get a bit of the profits when you're an owner?

Everything else technically is speculation. Long term speculation but still speculation.

4. "If i would have kept that stock till today i would have been RICH ASS $$$$$$$$$$$$"

Yea but you could have bought that stock in the 1990's held it for 10 years and then sold it for $12 at a loss right before it took off a few years ago. I took $150 (300%) profit on MSO LEAPS that went up to $2950 profit each. But that stock is now back to where I first bought the LEAPS. My point is that it seems unless you get in early on a great stock, 10-15 years holding on well established companies might leave you with little return on your investment.

5. dsq

dsq

BINGO...

Tech is horrible for long term because technology always changes.Whereas PG and boring companies that make soap or paper etc. are never subject to the upheavals of change.Ya,go with dividend stocks in the dow.Everything else is a crapshoot.

6. "I think if you're going to buy and hold it's better to look into dividend paying stocks."

I actually did that a couple of years ago and am still holding it. Citicorp, heh heh lucky me!

7. You young fools don't know how to play the game. Buy and holding, short and holding IS THE ONLY WAY TO PLAY if you want to have a successful trading careeer.

8. "You young fools don't know how to play the game. Buy and holding, short and holding IS THE ONLY WAY TO PLAY if you want to have a successful trading careeer."

You are the only person I've ever heard call buying and holding trading. But we will see in 10 years when I start drawing out of my IRA if I've been a successful trader by sitting on these positions.