Is Bush really the worst President ever - Economically the answer is YES

Discussion in 'Economics' started by Joab, Feb 25, 2008.

Bush is the worst

1. Yes

117 vote(s)
    57.4%
  2. No

44 vote(s)
    21.6%
  3. I gave up caring

43 vote(s)
    21.1%
  1. I wish Martin was given half a chance. But I'll take Harper over Bush any day. I hope you're enjoying the spoils of your Bush victory.

#21     Feb 25, 2008
  2. Joab

Joab

I couldn't AGREE more, the country is finally doing great and working as it should.

It's amazing the difference one administration makes. :)

#22     Feb 26, 2008
  3. gnome

gnome

For all you international members (Americans, too)... If you have a few spare minutes, here's a link about an American President who was a true American hero.

It will give you an idea of just how far the Presidency and our once fine country has fallen .... :mad:

http://www.andrewjacksonsociety.org/

#23     Feb 26, 2008
  4. So I gather that you base your opinion as to the "worst economic president" solely on national debt as a percentage of GDP?

Evidently you guys don't remember Jimmy Carter eh? I think he could easily have been the worst I have seen in my lifetime. Shows up well on your chart. Yet during his administration we saw interest rates of 21%. Double digit inflation. Gotta tell you guys, when you start deciding who was the "worst economic president EVER", you either need to older than your 20s, or you need to have some knowledge about US history.

Let me also point out that according to your chart, debt isn't any higher than during the Clinton years, and yet, we're fighting a war in Iraq. I think the debt level is remarkably restrained given Iraq.

Now maybe you don't like the Iraq policy. But that isn't economics. I'd say that during the Bush years we've had an economy marching up, a stock market marching up, inflation rates and interest rates both restrained, and dividend and capital gains taxes in the US as low as they've been in recent history.

So based on any type of rational thought, Bush would clearly not be the "worst economic president ever".

By the way, remember wage and price controls during the Nixon administration? LOL. I didn't think so. That was an unmitigated disaster.

OldTrader

#24     Feb 26, 2008
  5. OldTrader, how dare you contradict the mantra of "Bush is stupid," "Tax cuts for the rich," etc... You have to understand: if someone wakes up with a headache anywhere in the world...it's Bush's fault. So in about 11 months, there will not be anymore headaches or any problems whatsoever anywhere in the world. Of course, whatever lingering problems that may exist will be a result of Bush, I'm sure. Unfortunately, most people worry too much about who the leader of a country is rather than going out and creating their own destiny. Sad.

#25     Feb 26, 2008
  6. why are people not giving clinton the credit is due? What was the negative stuff of his presidency? Besides the Blowj . High employment , increased education , affordable housing . Everytime i turn on the tv the replubicans was bashing him for some thing . And dont blame him for 911 It was done on bushes watch .

#26     Feb 26, 2008
  7. gnome

gnome

I'm not going to do a Ben Franklin close on this, but let me address 2 points...

1. Bush claimed Iraq had WMDs... The UN was sent in to inspect. Couldn't find any. Iraq claimed they didn't have them. Bush invaded anyway. It was his PERSONAL agenda at great expense to the tax payer (all those debts and deficits will eventually be accounted for, you know) and the loss of 4,000 lives and 30,000 wounded. And now, he won't leave and is "staying the course" simply to "save face"... again at great cost to us. His actions are UNCONSCIONABLE.

2. Nixon initiated wage and price controls when inflation reached 4%.... Well, we've got inflation at 3 TIMES that NOW... and what we get is MORE MONEY-PUMP inflation and LIES about it... That's much worse in my mind.

And yes, I voted Bush as the worst. Of course I would... I'm an Andrew Jackson man.

#27     Feb 26, 2008
  8. Nixon initiated wage and price controls when inflation was 4%. By the time he was drummed out of office, the inflation rate had tripled....12%.

And I think you know, or should know, that George Bush doesn't control "money-pump inflation". That would be the Fed.

But I notice you don't mention Jimmy Carter....I gotta tell you, the combination of double digit inflation and 21% interest rates was absolutely a killer. Not to mention huge tax rates.

Finally, obviously Iraq was undertaken for the wrong reasons. I don't call that an economic policy.

OldTrader

#28     Feb 26, 2008
  9. taodr

taodr

Also don't let Bill Clinton get away. He carpet bombed Serbians killing hundreds of thousands of Christians so as to flood the land with over 1000 new mosques funded by the US "friend" Saudi Arabia. Had very little to do with ethnic cleansing but more with american hatred of Russians. I am surprized no one brings up this "christian value" in debates. I guess this is Hillary Clinton's "worldly experience".

#29     Feb 26, 2008
  10. gnome

gnome

Bush and the Fed are in cahoots on this. Deficits run amok. Money Pump on STEROIDS! Both are guilty.

http://www.nowandfutures.com/key_stats.html

#30     Feb 26, 2008