Is Brexit Good or Bad For The Average Working Person?

Discussion in 'Economics' started by heisenbern, Aug 5, 2017.

Is Brexit good for the average working person?

1. Yes

7 vote(s)
    33.3%
  2. No

10 vote(s)
    47.6%
  3. I don't know

4 vote(s)
    19.0%
  1. I am still gathering evidence.

2. just21

just21

If the average weekly shop goes down by £40 a week then it is good.

3. Xela

Xela

It's too early to tell.

And there's also the possibility that it could turn out to be worse for the "average person" for some time-period like 5 years or so, but then turn out to be much better in the much longer term?

Gotcha likes this.
  4. I agree 100%.

5. ironchef

ironchef

Short term bad since I am convinced the EU would like to punish UK as much as they could get away with so as to warn others not to follow. As usual the little guys are the one taking the brunt of the load under EU anger.

Longer term, it should be good as it frees up UK to chart their own destiny and operate without the bureaucratic BS of the EU. It no longer has to subsidize the poorer members and compete against Germany within the same currency structure.

Gotcha likes this.
  6. d08

d08

Dore thinks EU is doing this to compete with China on wage? Sometimes people are really astounding in their stupidity.
    What he doesn't realize is that wages in some parts of "Eastern EU" are already higher than in the "old EU" (Portugal or Greece vs Czech Republic for example). Low wage Romanians and Bulgarians aren't plenty enough to decimate West EU wages.
    Does Dore think that without the influx of East Europeans, the wages in the west would just climb and exports would just remain the same or even increase? Basic economic theory, that's what he needs to read.

Xela and itspossible like this.
  7. Turveyd

Turveyd

It's been worse for the 1year since this mess started, it's going to keep getting worse for some years, maybe a few years after it's all over it'll start to get better, but I suspect that's very optomistic.

I actually think Brexit is 1 step to far for the UK's failing economy and will push us into Bankruptcy over the next 2 - 4 years, which is very bad for us.

Most of the reasons for going into Brexit have been outward lies anyway.

itspossible likes this.
  8. maxpi

maxpi

Trump removed burdensome regulations and the U.S. economy is growing more. Not sure why it wouldn't work the same for the Brits

9. look, the people were hoping for less pakis, indians, greeks and other southern europeans. the women of britain wanted the eastern euros out as they steal all the "good lads". etc.. etc.. this is what brexit was about (as if all those things come from Europe)
    instead what do they have
    - no investments
    - solid taxpayers relocating
    - 15pc devaluation of the sterling.
    - more eastern euros rushing in before the door closes.
    So who is this good for ? arguably exporters and you can see it in the FTSE100. for the rest of the pop ? this is absolute crap. can't even go have fun in spain once in a year because 15pc devaluation HURTS. SAD.

10. d08

d08

What are you talking about? The growth rate is the same as under Obama. Being out of the EU will actually add to the regulations because suddenly they have additional checks at the EU border, their by far the biggest trading partner - hello border queues.

#10     Aug 6, 2017