Is Boone Pickens still short oil?

Discussion in 'Trading' started by detective, Mar 10, 2008.

1. Icahn, Kirk Kerkorian, Buffet, Boone-all these old toads are vastly overrated. Sure they made a lot of money in the past, but we live in the present.

Boone was even on CNBC morning when he went short, which cased oil to fall slightly. Talk about having a head start, and yet he failed.

#11     Mar 10, 2008
  2. Yeah, I thought of replying too but why waste the time arguing with professional trolls. It is pointless and only encourages them more.

#12     Mar 10, 2008
  3. When you have 1/100th the net worth of any of these guys you can officially start yapping. Until then keep your insults to yourself.

#13     Mar 10, 2008
  4. no he covered a couple weeks ago. there was a story about him covering his short. i can't find it but i remember it.

#14     Mar 10, 2008
  5. clacy

clacy

If I remember correctly, Buffet made a nice gain last year, overtaking Gates to become the richest, so it seems he is still making money.

You talking smack about these guys is like some less than average 8th grade basketball player taking shots at Michael Jordan, saying that what he did in the past is meaningless today and that he is overrated.

#15     Mar 10, 2008
  6. Please find a link. If that's truly the case...

#16     Mar 10, 2008
  7. Fangdog

Fangdog

Boone Pickens is an oil producer. What he loses on his short, he makes on the actual product.

Years ago I happened to be at his office when he was short cattle and cattle prices was going through the roof. He was having a hard time explaining to his bankers his margin calls were being covered by the value of his cattle in the pen.

#17     Mar 10, 2008
  8. how do you know he's short?just because he said so?

do you have any verification, besides his 'word'?

I wonder how many short sellers he put out of business with that call....

#18     Mar 10, 2008
  9. ===================
    Regal;

As well as he/ his funds has done with oil;
    probably still done well . Seems like a straight shooter, like mr Ichan;
    have heard him speak many times.

And with him not mentioning his position size in shorts;
    perhaps done well this month.

Maybe right on last sentence.LOL:p

#19     Mar 10, 2008
  10. I wonder: He said he was shorting oil, but he didn't say what type of short. He is probably short Puts. He said he was short to get everyone to go short with him, meanwhile he was shorting puts and cashing in on the squeeze.

#20     Mar 10, 2008