Is Black-Scholes the Right Option for Options?

Discussion in 'Options' started by McCloud, Jul 30, 2003.

1. You guys are learning me good :D. As a equity trader who is just plain bored with straight directional plays, options have become a more intellectual pursuit to feed my ongoing hunger for mkt knowledge.
    If any of you could suggest a few books on options trading that you found invaluable please share the names.

Thank you,
    inda.

#41     Aug 3, 2003
  2. Exactly. The implied volatility is based on the option price which is determined by supply/demand. If someone's own research indicates the volatility in the future is higher/lower than this IV, he would buy/sell the option (i.e. he would long/short vega).

#42     Aug 3, 2003
  3. You are right. Many companies beat current quarterly earning and then cautious about future earnings, sort of "canceled" each other.

#43     Aug 3, 2003
  4. Natenberg's Option Volatility & Pricing is a classic. Mcmillan's Options As A Strategic Investment is another.

#44     Aug 3, 2003
  5. Thank you very much Tao.

#45     Aug 3, 2003
  6. ========================================
    Add a third ---- Big Trends;
    by Price Headly and has excellant price insights on stocks & options.:cool:

#46     Sep 3, 2003
  7. Thanks

#47     Sep 3, 2003
  8. can one of you options gurus tell me which model might be a reasonable approximation of value for EOD calculations?

yes, I suppose I could read one of those books...

thx

#48     Jan 21, 2004
  9. EOD print is probably the last trade you are looking at; which could have been at noon. No real relation to the underlyings close unless you are following the bid/ask or a very active option.

BS is close enough for what you want.

But, the answer is probably useless ...

#49     Jan 21, 2004
  10. T-REX

T-REX

In order to be an effective trader of Options you must 1st master the underlining Futures and or Stock you are trading and have a full understanding of where the market is headed.

Example: If you believe that the ES is going up then you can buy the Sept 1170 Call on the Big S&P 500.

If you believe that the ES is going to fall then you can either sell the Sept 1170 Call on the Big S&P 500 or simply buy a Sept 1050 Put.

There are a few more good alternatives and strike prices but I thing you get the point and I did not us BS to determine the above.
    :D

#50     Jan 21, 2004