Is Black-Scholes the Right Option for Options?

Discussion in 'Options' started by McCloud, Jul 30, 2003.

1. sle

sle

"There are stochastic volatility models out there to overcome this problem."

I see you've read the SABR paper :)

#11     Jul 30, 2003

2. Interesting. The model really should be called the Black model (leave out the scholes). Black was the brains behind this not scholes. Or, the Black-Merton model.

#12     Jul 30, 2003
  3. And also Alan Lewis' book. I just wish I have more time for reading.

#13     Jul 30, 2003
  4. McCloud

McCloud

I remember NOVA created a great 60M video called "Trillion Dollar Bet" a while back. It was an informative program about Fisher Black and Myron Scholes and how they came up with the Black-Scholes formula and also their involvement with LTCM and its failure.. I am sure most libraries probably carry a copy of that video if anyone is interested in seeing it..

#14     Jul 30, 2003
  5. nitro

nitro

Link?

nitro

#15     Jul 30, 2003
  6. nitro

nitro

Never mind, I figured it out.

Interesting!

nitro

#16     Jul 31, 2003
  7. McCloud

McCloud

#17     Jul 31, 2003
  8. nitro

nitro

McCloud,

Thanks! That's where I found it!

Do you know if someone has written a small program with sample data so that I can follow along and see if I understand the model?

Or equivalently, some data and what the smile/skew curve would look like ? (assuming given the inputs of alpha, forward, k, beta, volvol, rho and time)

nitro

#18     Jul 31, 2003
  9. sle

sle

I have a small spreadsheet I wrote to test it - i will look if i can find it.
    The great thing about SABR is the stability of vega hedges - some nameless company (starts with N and ends with A) made a lot of money using SABR.

#19     Jul 31, 2003
  10. nitro

nitro

:cool: :cool: :cool:

nitro

#20     Jul 31, 2003