Is Bible inerrant

Discussion in 'Religion and Spirituality' started by yip1997, Dec 7, 2007.

1. Good statement. I consider myself a very logical person. In fact, logic is what I base much of my religious faith on.

OTOH, I would also urge believers to realize that they don't have sole proprietorship over righteousness.

#21     Dec 7, 2007
  2. Isn't one of the attributes for inerrancy "it doesn't grow and change. It is what it is...."?

If it keeps changing, I don't see why you would call it inerrant.

[edit] if there is indeed the Truth, it should never change, right?

#22     Dec 7, 2007
  3. It is becoming of any intelligent person to seek continued understanding. This should often lead to a change in opinion. I doubt however that a person can switch back and forth between believer and non-believer. To me this is simply a characteristic of one who is indecisive and gullible.

Each person should settle on core beliefs. If you've decided that you are a believer, then you should search for the true doctrines of belief. If you've decided that some sort of "God" is impossible, then pursue truth in that realm. A person can come to the realization that there likely is a God or visa versa, but to constantly switch back and forth shows no conviction.

#23     Dec 7, 2007
  4. The Bible for the most part doesn't grow nor change. The interpretation of specific passages is the issue. The defining characteristics of the different sects are the result of which passages each considers to be literal, and which are considered symbolic.

My personal belief (not speaking for my religion as a whole) is that revelation was never meant to stop with the last book of the new testament, and that misinterpretation of the Bible is very likely if the person doesn't approach it correctly.

The Bible when misinterpreted is full of contradiction and fallacies. This has lead to hundreds of different "christian" sects. Does this make the Bible less accurate? IMO, no. Just an inaccurate understanding.

#24     Dec 7, 2007
  5. When should we settle? How can one search for the true doctrines of belief if he won't change his mind?

I once made 100 trades, and won all 100 times. I believed I had an edge or the trading skill. In another year I made another 100 trades and lost all 100 times. Do I or should I reconsider my "edge" or my trading skill?

#25     Dec 7, 2007
  6. Do you mean change my mind in general or specifically about whether or not there is God or truth in the Bible?

#26     Dec 7, 2007
  7. It isn't a matter of settling. Your example isn't really pertinent to the topic. The conditions in the market are ever-changing. your first 100 trades matched the prevailing conditions, while the latter 100 didn't. It is up to a trader to correctly identify the current conditions and change accordingly.

On the topic of religious belief, the existence of God is not ever-changing. If he existed when you were born, he will still exist when you die. If you have decided that you believe in God, then you should try to discover who God is. There are many choices.

If you are still undecided as to whether there is a God, then you should continue to pursue that first decision. Every person should consider in their mind whether the idea of God is actually just well instuted myth. I don't believe in blindly following something.

In the end for me, that question led me to a belief in christianity. I build from there.

#27     Dec 7, 2007
  8. Sorry about that, Giles. I was rushing and got you mixed up with Yip.

#28     Dec 7, 2007
  9. What doctrines did you start with? Were/are you a member of a particular denomination?

#29     Dec 7, 2007
  10. n
    The existence of God might never change, but ones experience is. Most faith built from self-experience, or the experience of others with some sorts of logical reasoning. If one saw or heard something spiritual (or scientifically unexplanable at that time), he believed in God. When he is more knowledgeable or when he knows more about the science/religion/the dark side of human beings, he might find another explanation for the once unexplanable.

Experience and knowledge (just like the market) are always changing, and so is faith that builds on experience and knowledge.

I don't see the reasons why one can't change his mind.

I believed in Chrisitanity, and I believed bible was inerrant as I was told. When I get older with a better understanding of beings and nature, I start to have doubts. I am not ashamed of having doubts in my belief.

#30     Dec 7, 2007