Is Bible inerrant

Discussion in 'Religion and Spirituality' started by yip1997, Dec 7, 2007.

1. You place the words 'objective' and 'believed' in quotes. Why?

#11     Dec 7, 2007
  2. Don't be offended, but even though I'll rush to the defense of Christianity when its logic is attacked by atheists, I'm just an agnostic who likes to argue. I especially like to argue with atheists because they believe they have sole proprietorship over reason - which they don't.

#12     Dec 7, 2007
  3. I didn't say "No". It can also be inspired by Nature. I just want a confirmation, not a fight.

#13     Dec 7, 2007
  4. How can I get offended?? The very book we debate teaches me to not be offended. Fighting for what I believe is right is a far cry form wearing thin skin and becoming easily offended by what people say, think or do.

#14     Dec 7, 2007
  5. The definition of inerrant is....

1. Incapable of erring; infallible.
    2. Containing no errors.

Definition 1 doesn't fit because the bible is not a living book. It does not grow and change. It is what it is....

Does it contain errors???

I am sure there may be some misquotes. After all, prior to it becoming a written collection of documents, It was handed down verbally. So as a previous respondent said, there may be some interpretational errors based on who told the story, their opinions. personal status, etc...

Does that mean the stories in it are MISREPRESENTED?? No.

If 50 people see the same event and each gave their own account, you could easily extrapolate from those 50 viewpoints what really occurred.

This is the Bible as we know it. A multiplicity of accounts extrapolated.

Luke (The Author of Acts and Luke) for one went about gathering information of events from various persons. He was able, with a high degree of accuracy, to recreate the original events quite well.

Without flaw?? Doubt it. Perfect, Nope. But a very honest and useful resource, Yes.

#15     Dec 7, 2007
  6. Quoted because I don't believe that i can be completely objective for this type of questions even though I try.

I quoted "believed" because I am not sure what I believed or if I indeed believed.

#16     Dec 7, 2007
  7. Not trying to pick a fight with you, Yip. My question isn't confrontational. I just wonder why you might change your mind given that the Biblical explanation is as good as anything else around.

#17     Dec 7, 2007
  8. I was responding to Giles, but I hope you also won't be offended by anything I post since it's not my intention to offend. You seem sincere and at times I may seem flippant but be assured that even though I'm not what you could call a believer I too am very concerned about the issues you raise.

#18     Dec 7, 2007
  9. Well said.

#19     Dec 7, 2007
  10. Biblical explanation for what? My mind keeps changing as I am alive. Did you ever change your mind?

#20     Dec 7, 2007