Is Ben S. Bernanke a Moron?

Discussion in 'Economics' started by Thunderdog, Jan 30, 2008.

Is Ben S. Bernanke a Moron?

1. Yes

52 vote(s)
    60.5%
  2. No

34 vote(s)
    39.5%
  1. gnome

gnome

Actually that's not what they say... supposedly the Fed's "mandate" is (1) Price Stability [aka, don't let things decline] and (2) Full Employment.

The Fed's #1 job SHOULD be protection of the currency... as once that is sufficiently debased, none of us will have anything.

#11     Jan 30, 2008
  2. what irony,

Bush is giving a speech at a helicopter plant.........

#12     Jan 30, 2008
  3. these kinds of posts are like spectators who think they know more than the sports coach.

A coach spends 40 hours a week breaking down film, assessing performance and injury metrics, and 40 hours on a host of other things, and Joe 6-Pack suddenly knows better plays than the coaching staff

I am sure the OP could run our financial system much better. NOT

Bernanke raises/drops rates "too much" and one group complains. He does it "too little" nad another group complains...

Reminds me of the "moron" ET poster who figures if we got rid of the fed banking system, then our national debt would disappear with it...

Go figure...

#13     Jan 30, 2008
  4. OK OK, PTF, you may very well be right.

In that case, everyone position yourselves accordingly. :D
    In all seriousness, how can he possibly think about righting a boat which has gone to such extremes of greed and avarice that everyone, and I mean everyone is on the take ... there is no more legitmate business (well, OK, maybe Goldman).

#14     Jan 30, 2008
  5. Conspiracy Theory 2... Where is Mel Gibson when you need him?

#15     Jan 30, 2008
  6. I forgive you, my son.

I don't think it is the Fed chairman's job to blow one bubble after another, essentially subsidizing the boneheaded investments of certain interests at the expense of everyone else. There is also the small matter of his not giving a shit about the country's currency. As I had noted in another thread, if Aesop were alive today, he would have to rework his fable about the ant and the grasshopper.

And assuming for a moment that Bernanke's conduct is not a matter of corruption, then we are left with ineptitiude:
    http://www.elitetrader.com/vb/newreply.php?s=&action=newreply&postid=1768125

Against this background, what is your opinion? Ineptitide, or perhaps something a tad more sinister? Please help me decide.

#16     Jan 30, 2008
  7. Oh, OK, um, so that's why he droped the rate by 0.75 pts after the Societe General banking scandel hit the markets ... while our European counterparts did nothing, because they knew what was going down. :eek:

Everyone is most definitely entitled to their opinion, and who knows but that it just may be the correct one.

#17     Jan 30, 2008
  8. No conspiracy my friend, just look around you the state of banking and big business and draw your own conclusions, oh OK, you probably already have. :D

Good thread T-Dog, get ready for more phlem.

JJ

#18     Jan 30, 2008
  9. By following in the very footsteps of the guy who helped create the mess?!
    :confused:

#19     Jan 30, 2008
  10. Perhaps we should rename the thread to, "Is Alan Greenspan a Moron?" Helicopter Ben may be following in the footsteps of the guy who created this mess but I think this has all been very well orchestrated. Who better to try and prevent a recession/depression than one of the leading experts of the First Great Depression. The question that we should really be asking is, "Can the Fed actually stop a severe recession/depression?" Judging from the market's response today the answer to that question may very well be, "No."

#20     Jan 30, 2008