Is becoming a quant a waste of time?

Discussion in 'Professional Trading' started by fatrat, Aug 24, 2007.

1. Pardon the intrusion, but you surf trading websites while trading the CDO market?

#51     Sep 10, 2007
  2. sjfan

sjfan

You are now my favorite person [who I've never met]. This is hilarious. This is going on my bloomberg greeting tag tomorrow.

#52     Sep 10, 2007
  3. sjfan

sjfan

Sure. Why not. I knew about this website years and years and years ago when I just started out learning about stocks in school. It's just entertainment now - breaks up the slow days.

#53     Sep 10, 2007
  4. Fair enough. You were starting out with stocks in October 2000?

#54     Sep 10, 2007
  5. sjfan

sjfan

Dont' recall *that* precisely, but somewhere around then. It was when Hitman was chasing his Princess and I had my first Datek account. Ah the memories....

#55     Sep 10, 2007

6. Yes I am in high school but have probably had more market experience than 3/4 the people on et. Im not bragging about a 3.0 gpa I wish it was higher but I know I will be going to a state college so I don't really care.

I can understand now why you would need quants. I thought they were just people who did nothing but try to find relationships between numbers and where the market is going. So correct me if im wrong but they just help price the market and figure out risk reward ratios?

I trade mainly grains and other physical commodities. I live on a farm so that helps me with the grain trade. It is a lot more cut and dry in the commodity markets and way less complicating than the stuff you are talking about (frankly I dont know why anyone would want to trade something that complicated). I only need to know how to add and subtract to trade my markets and would not be trading if I had to figure calculus and algebra equations throughout the day! That would suck!

#56     Sep 10, 2007
  7. Living on a farm is a waste of time.

#57     Sep 10, 2007
  8. As is being a quasi-literate douchebag.

#58     Sep 10, 2007
  9. I guess he has to change his name, again....

#59     Sep 10, 2007
  10. Shame, this thread once had value and purpose before all the threadjacking..

#60     Sep 10, 2007