Is ATR a good way to measure volatility?

Discussion in 'Technical Analysis' started by flyingforget, Sep 6, 2008.

1. kut2k2

kut2k2

It's called recycling. No need to always start a new thread on a topic that's already been covered before. If a member has something new of substance to add like I did, he can just post to an existing thread like I did.

What exactly is your beef here? You certainly had no hesitation adding your two cents' worth on the thread topic.

#11     Dec 10, 2013
  2. wrbtrader

wrbtrader

There's already newer threads on the topic. Why not just participate in the newer threads instead of re-opening older threads by thread starters no longer around. :confused:

Anyways, see prior discussions down in the Feedback section by others about the issue with re-opening threads that have been dead for many years that specifically involves replying to members that are no longer here instead of replying to more recent or newer threads on similar topics.

No beef. Don't take it personally.

P.S. I'm not telling you what to do. I'm just asking you questions about why do it when there's a better alternative as mentioned above. Simply, I'm just curious how you found this old thread and not the newer threads.

#12     Dec 10, 2013
  3. kut2k2

kut2k2

What newer threads? I looked and saw no newer threads. The title of this thread is perfect for what I wanted to post, and a post is not always solely directed at the OP, it is often, as in my case, directed at the thread topic.

But if you can show me where these newer threads are, I appreciate it.

#13     Dec 10, 2013
  4. mspkash1

mspkash1

Won't a simple glance at the chart tell you if the market is relatively volatile or not?
    Its a different issue if you want to measure the volatility which can be used for stop loss calculations.

#14     Dec 15, 2013
  5. You also have to mention that somedays Google was traded far below and volatility numbers were also different. Which also make sense to use ATR in percents.

See below ATR in percents for AMD and GOOG

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

You may find more info about ATR% charts and calculations at
    http://www.marketvolume.com/technicalanalysis/atr.asp

#15     Jan 22, 2014
  6. wrbtrader

wrbtrader

Yes, if you understand volatility...a simple glance at the chart will reveal if the market is currently relatively volatile or not. Yet, if someone want some sort'uv "measure volatility number" that can be used for something...as you noted...its a different issue.

#16     Jan 26, 2014