is ATM the best ?

Discussion in 'Options' started by 0008, May 11, 2005.

1. Trajan

Trajan

Just load up on the nickel otm calls.

Just kidding. A well defined time frame can open up the possibilities as long as it is stuck to. I once in a while like to buy the next month out otm calls. I have had some pretty good succes with them while selling some of the front month against em, but sometimes I just speculate. I generally don't like front month otm calls unless I'm just using them to limit my risk and don't really consider them a good hedge nor would I speculate with them unless they were real cheap in nominal terms(say .10 or .20) not on a IV basis.

I would say stick atm and itm. One caveat, atms can be tricky sometimes as they will go to parity quickly as expiration approaches and the stock rallies.

#11     May 11, 2005
  2. mlipsky

mlipsky

don't want to be odd man out, but the question is Delta and gamma per $, not Delta and gamma per sh. So, if the ATM costs $2 and is Delta 50 and Gamma 10 and the 5% out costs $1 is 40 and 6, you would get more Delta and Gamma per sh buying the 5% out. Of course, you would also have more decay and vol at risk.

The example above is just to show the proper way to compare. I haven't done the math to determine whether these exact #s make sense for a given vol scenario, but the fact remains true regardless: To compare 2 options, do your Greeks per $, not sh.

#12     Jun 13, 2005
  3. mlipsky

mlipsky

oops, typo on prior email:

Should read: you would get more Delta and Gamma per $$$$$ buying the 5% out. Of course, you would also have more decay and vol at risk.

not

"you would get more Delta and Gamma per sh buying the 5% out. Of course, you would also have more decay and vol at risk."

#13     Jun 13, 2005