Is Atheism a crutch for people who don’t understand the complexity of God?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by sho-tim, Sep 28, 2008.

1. TZ,

You are delusional. You haven't stated a single thing that makes any sense.You sound like you are about 20 yrs old. How about answering my genome question? That's pure science buddy. You have offered zero science. You think Noah built an Ark don't you?

My degrees BTW. You can pose as an employer and look em up asshole, I'll give you my real name if ya want.

BS Econ, Univ of Utah, valedictorian candidate, 12/85.

Masters in Econ, Helsinki School of Economics, 1992

MBA International Management, Thunderbird Graduate school of International Management, 1995.
    #1 ranked international MBA on the planet.

There is no way you are even remotely as educated as I.

Oh, almost forgot, also studied at University of Cambridge, Cambridge England. Sellwyn College.

#31     Sep 29, 2008
  2. time for some inspirational thoughts from the Holy Book of the Religion of Peace:

" However, you may purchase male or female slaves from among the foreigners who live among you. You may also purchase the children of such resident foreigners, including those who have been born in your land. You may treat them as your property, passing them on to your children as a permanent inheritance. You may treat your slaves like this, but the people of Israel, your relatives, must never be treated this way. "

"When a man sells his daughter as a slave, she will not be freed at the end of six years as the men are. If she does not please the man who bought her, he may allow her to be bought back again. But he is not allowed to sell her to foreigners, since he is the one who broke the contract with her. And if the slave girl's owner arranges for her to marry his son, he may no longer treat her as a slave girl, but he must treat her as his daughter. If he himself marries her and then takes another wife, he may not reduce her food or clothing or fail to sleep with her as his wife. If he fails in any of these three ways, she may leave as a free woman without making any payment. "

" If within the city a man comes upon a maiden who is betrothed, and has relations with her, you shall bring them both out of the gate of the city and there stone them to death: the girl because she did not cry out for help though she was in the city, and the man because he violated his neighbors wife."

Seneca

#32     Sep 29, 2008
  3. Listen,
    the basic principle for "faith" - is that you jump ship from rationality.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leap_of_faith
    It is important to understand that Kierkegaard felt a leap of faith was necessary in accepting Christianity due to the paradoxes that exist in Christianity. In his book Philosophical Fragments, Kierkegaard delves deep into the paradoxes that Christianity presents. One of these is the belief that there existed a being (Jesus) who is both 100% man and 100% god. Since neither logic nor reason can reconcile this, one would require faith to believe it in light of the paradox. So, when one decides to have faith that a being existed as both god and man, one makes a qualitative change from non-belief to belief, and thusly makes a 'leap of faith' that it is true.

The implication of taking a leap of faith can, depending on the context, carry positive or negative connotations, as some feel it is a virtue to be able to believe in something without evidence, while others feel it is foolishness. It is a hotly contested theological and philosophical concept. For instance, the association with "blind faith" and religion is disputed by those with deistic principles that argue reason and logic, rather than revelation or tradition, should be the basis of belief in god.

So when the bible-thumpers come along and say: "disprove god", they are saying "we are beyond logic and reason, but try and use reason to prove us wrong." They are not on the same planet as reason or logic, but challenge logic and reason to disprove them. Of course whenever we keep things to this planet Earth and we analyse things happening here - "faith" is immediately disproved - because here on Earth, everything has natural causes. Go figure, it kind of seems reasonable, though... natural causes and all. The Abrahamic religious on the other hand go seeing spirits and deity manifesting through miracles and other things they don't understand of nature and life here on Earth. I say they are just making up for being plain stupid and their ignorance from unwillingness to evolve.

Also, returning to my old but wise friend Gödel; you cannot have a single system (model) which includes all of universe as per his Incompleteness theorem. However, Dialethism is a system which can hold paradoxes, and Paraconsistent logic can hold contradictions.

#33     Sep 29, 2008
  4. TZ I didn't take too much time to read a lot of what you said, because what I did read initially basically said it all. What religion do you follow? What do you base your beliefs on? Faith? A book? Are you voting for Obama?

#34     Sep 29, 2008
  5. Anyone who uses faith as their reasoning for their beliefs needs to start trading, I wouldn't mind a new jet. My view on faith is this:
    Most people need to know. Need to know who they are, why they're here, and where they're going. Obviously, using reasoning will never get you any answer. Subscribing to a religion because of faith (which can better be described as blind desperation) answers those questions.

Most religions also have the duality of good and evil. This isn't logical either. Everything in the universe is one. Where did we come from? Stardust. If everything is one, how can there be both good and evil?

#35     Sep 29, 2008
  6. To every force exerted there are at least two involved. When you look at the world, you can see things from your viewpoint - and there will at least be one other entity that you can observe.

Then you start polarizing and growing into entrenched beliefs that align you with others. That's when you can start to see the scales and dimensions of any interaction.

There are of course not any universally absolutes - or any "absolute truths". But the insistence of this belief/faith make people align or repel others based on this acceptance or disagreement. That is how you start judging others as "good or evil" and create "morality".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Degree_of_truth

#36     Sep 29, 2008
  7. I noticed you passed over EVERYTHING I said about your uneducated sayings. Why don't you address ALL OF THESE?

Everything I said was sound, logical and true. But since you have no answers, you have to appeal to your resume, in hope that deflects attention from your feeble mental performance.

For someone who claims an impressive education, you are a lightweight.

Sadly, you know it is true - you make unfounded statements and then run away when challenged on your very weak arguments.. Or maybe you don't - I apologize if you have mental deficiencies...

#37     Sep 29, 2008
  8. conservative presbyterian. I really don't get into "beliefs." I prefer to follow the evidence. After all, what we believe is rarely likely to match up with what actually goes on in the Universe.

I don't really get into tit for tat about evidence though. I have seen huge amounts of evidence for the christian God. But past experience shows it is a waste of time to say or defend it, because detractors have NO evidence of their own, and dismiss ANY form of biblical evidence on technicalities, or because they disagree with it, because it doesn't meet their personal concept, because they "know better" or just because they try to yell loudly. If I spend time making a strong argument, they just cut and paste things they find on someone else's blog. I don't need to prove God; I am a witness, not an archangel.

I am amazed at the logic of atheists though. "I have no clue how I got here before my life, where I am going after death, why I am here. I have no evidence whatsoever that God does not exist. I stand on RATIONAL THOUGHT (whatever that is). Even though as science goes, we are still in Huggies. I know those of faith are wrong, because I said so " etc. etc.

I asked pointed questions about the nature of the Universe above as how weak our cosmology understanding is, and Jayford eventually wound up quoting his resume.

Don't know how traders would vote for Obama, after the death knell Pelosi wants to impose on traders - the transx tax

#38     Sep 29, 2008
  9. The above is simply an outright LIE.
    You claim faith - and that is detached from logic and reason. Try affronting me on logic and reasoning...
    :)

#39     Sep 30, 2008
  10. stu

stu

...then you are a false witness relying on special pleading.

"There is absolutely evidence for NO God." - infinity and existence for starters.

btw. is all that size 3 text compensating for something?

#40     Sep 30, 2008