Is Atheism a crutch for people who don’t understand the complexity of God?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by sho-tim, Sep 28, 2008.

1. What the hell does that have to do with this thread? Racism ignorance has nothing to do with science or God.

As for Leaky, evolution has pretty much been proven. Reams and reams of evidence vs. you guys who think the earth is 5000 years old (there are civilizations older than that), Noah's Ark, etc.

Geez!

#21     Sep 29, 2008
  2. "If God is what people say there can be no one in the universe so unhappy as He; for He sees unceasingly myriads of His creatures suffering unspeakable miseries--and besides this foresees how they are going to suffer during the remainder of their lives. One might as well say, "As unhappy as God."
    Mark Twain- Notebook #24, April - Aug. 1885

:(

#22     Sep 29, 2008
    #23     Sep 29, 2008
  4. Wait a minute Publix, that statement isn't religiion, its agnosticism, which I will submit still has enough modesty
    to admit that this inexplixcable life we find ourselves in is just a mystery.

#24     Sep 29, 2008
  5. No TZ,

Atheism is based on science, religion is based on culture.

Explain this one, pure science here. Human genome is almost identical to that of chimps. If that isn't major evidence for evolution I don't know what is. You of course will state that this is not science somehow because you refuse to believe ANYTHING that provides evidence contrary to your supernatural beliefs.

And BTW, its almost impossible to prove something does not exist. Prove the Tooth Fairy doesn't exist. Come on, prove it. The onus is on religion to prove God does exist. Atheists actually don't even really care what religious people think because they can never be swayed no matter how much evidence to the contrary. Evolution, age of the earth (4.5 BILLION years old vs 5000), etc.

#25     Sep 29, 2008
  6. Also,

Here is a quick list of famous atheist philosophers. Took me two seconds to find this on the web. I could get you lists of many more, but I am too lazy, and you'd dismiss it somehow anyway.

And why did I state that philosophers are atheists? Cause I took a fair amount of philosophy in college, and all my profs were atheists as the arguments for a God didn't make sense. And this was in UTAH! arguably the most religious state in the Union.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Atheist_philosophers

#26     Sep 29, 2008
  7. Mind, divorced from spirit, makes "the universe", apart from reality, as if it were the reality. It is not, as impressive it may seem to be. Mind makes a thinking machine - ego - to make "the universe". The universe made by the ego is a joke of Self upon Self. "The universe" masks Self from Self, making a mockery of Self. As such, "the universe" is a sordid, sadistic masquerade party, dark, and sinister. Ego is a toy that takes on a kind of "life" of it's own, seeking to prolong it's life by usurping Reality with its own. It's domain is limited, and its days are numbered. It limits, and subjects its minions to time, its own invention, determined to replace eternity with an illusion of "forever". It rules mercilessly, insanely, denying Reality in every way, shape and form. The instant it is made, the ego seeks to possess the mind of the Self that made it, taking it hostage, and converting it to belittled and bewitched beings, mindless, hypnotically programmed to look no further than "the universe", for Truth.

To succeed, the ego need only convince the mind it possesses that it's illusion is reality, or somehow related to reality as an addition, extention, expression, or improvement. The ego succeeds whenever it can pass it's offering off as meaningful, interesting, tempting, logical, unavoidable, valuable, or desirable. To the extent the ego succeeds, it destroys the mind that hosts it, possessing it without mercy, attempting to kill what gives it power.

The ego is able to impress some scientists with its ingenius machinations. It is able to fool "believers" into worshipping it and its "creation". It does not care whether you believe it made its creation in six days or six trillion years, so long as you believe it is reality itself. In this way, it fools atheist, theist, and agnostic alike, taking them all down to the grave, pitting them against each other, mocking them all the way down.

Until one identifies with the mind that makes the ego, one will be possessed by it, witnessing for it, speaking for it, supporting it, confusing itself with it. There is but one mind. This means that you made the ego and authorized it to re-make You into "the universe", and give you a tiny little kingdom within it to call your own, overruled mercilessly by circumstances.

Jesus

#27     Sep 29, 2008
  8. jem

jem

You may argue that Agnosticism is rational. Atheism is ignorance or based in faith in the un proveable unknown. How can you say there is no God. How could you know that.

Especially in light of recent developments in science.

Did you know that it is so unlikely that the universe would be hospitable to humans that the universe appears desgined and that the founder of String theory - said that you must have almost and infinite number of universes to combat the conclusion the universe must be designed.

Some oif the worlds top cientists now tell you that if you are an atheist you must have faith in an unseen and un proveable alternative universes just to combat the conclusion of design.

#28     Sep 29, 2008
  9. Quote from Jayford:

Also,

Here is a quick list of famous atheist philosophers. Took me two seconds to find this on the web. I could get you lists of many more, but I am too lazy, and you'd dismiss it somehow anyway.

Huge failure on your part here. As you said "Virtually every philosopher is an atheist for a reason." So you supply a list of famous ones as proof virtually all are? You are a poor scholar.

I have doubts about your philosophy education, because first of all, you are a poor user of it as you are constantly prone to unsubstantiated and obviously weak claims(I had 2 logic classes as part of M.S. CompSci, so I am well aware of your problems)

And why did I state that philosophers are atheists? Cause I took a fair amount of philosophy in college, and all my profs were atheists as the arguments for a God didn't make sense. And this was in UTAH! arguably the most religious state in the Union.

You are such a poor match at this. You are making yourself look like a high school dropout.

Since your meager few philosophy profs area atheists, you project this as "virtually all" in the world? And somehow we rely on YOUR memory as proof that ALL of them were definitely atheists? I had 2 logic profs from the philosophy dept, and they never claimed out loud they were atheists. They taught philosophy. Come on Jayford, you are so clueless. I suspect you had one class at most, since you are so weak and unaware of philosophical argument and evidence.

Go away, and finish your G.E.D...

#29     Sep 29, 2008
  10. Quote from Jayford:

No TZ,

Atheism is based on science, religion is based on culture.

Atheism is based on SCIENCE? The cluelesness continues. Let us look at the definition of scientific proof:

Scientific evidence is evidence which serves to either support or counter a scientific theory or hypothesis. Such evidence is expected to be empirical and properly documented in accordance with scientific method such as is applicable to the particular field of inquiry

So let us look at your statement:

And BTW, its almost impossible to prove something does not exist.

WHAT???? You say Atheism is based on SCIENCE - requiring evidence that is EMPIRICAL and PROPERLY DOCUMENTED - and now you run away by saying you Atheism cannot prove anything?

Get lost, amateur!!!

Explain this one, pure science here. Human genome is almost identical to that of chimps. If that isn't major evidence for evolution I don't know what is. You of course will state that this is not science somehow because you refuse to believe ANYTHING that provides evidence contrary to your supernatural beliefs.

I happen to be a theistic evolutionist, so AGAIN, you have no idea what you are talking about. The cluelessness continues...

The onus is on religion to prove God does exist. Atheists actually don't even really care what religious people think because they can never be swayed no matter how much evidence to the contrary.

You are right. Atheists cannot prove God does not exist (so much for your science argument). Atheists don't care what others think, because they are SELF-RIGHTEOUS, IGNORANT, and have no interest in anything but their own little unfounded hypothesis.

Sorry, I also have a BS in biology. You are the furthermost thing from a science person there is. You wield it like an elephant wields a fork.

Quit while you are behind. you have done nothing but embarrass yourself here.

#30     Sep 29, 2008