Is Anyone Left Short?

Discussion in 'Index Futures' started by Pabst, Jan 20, 2004.

1. ig0r

ig0r

Nah, playing this correction with QQQ march calls

#41     Jan 26, 2004
  2. pspr

pspr

What correction? Do you mean you are short March calls?

Anyway, the last 3 days of January are historically pretty strong. February looks like a better time to start looking for a possible pull back. But, at least wait for some failed tests of the highs followed by more and more volume on the pull backs.

Barring an event crash, I don't see the market turning on a dime.

#42     Jan 26, 2004
  3. That's the way I see it. I don't want to look to look too heavily to the short side until the middle of next week -- will evaluate conditions then.

QUOTE]Quote from pspr:

What correction? Do you mean you are short March calls?

Anyway, the last 3 days of January are historically pretty strong. February looks like a better time to start looking for a possible pull back. But, at least wait for some failed tests of the highs followed by more and more volume on the pull backs.

Barring an event crash, I don't see the market turning on a dime.
    [/QUOTE]

#43     Jan 26, 2004
  4. Maverick74

Maverick74

Correction? You mean correction to the upside? Why would anyone sell March calls, there is no premium in them. If you want to sell call, sell very very deep ITM calls. At least that way you essentially have a leveraged short stock position.

#44     Jan 26, 2004
  5. pspr

pspr

Formikatrading, like you, I've been on the sidelines with my long term investments. I went to cash when I thought there was a reasonable chance of a terrorist act around Christmas. Looks like if we hadn't stoped those airliners out of France we might just have had a problem. (Wonder why it is always France?)

Then there was some slightly weaker econonic data around year end and the 1000 job Jobs Report (yeah, I know that is a seriously lagging indicator) that gave me pause again so I've stayed in cash which turned out to be the wrong place to be for this January.

Anyway, I'll stick to the motto a friends father told me once, "I'm more concernerd about the return OF my capital than the return ON my capital".

#45     Jan 26, 2004
  6. ig0r

ig0r

Nope, long calls, a few cents off the LOD for the Q's actually

#46     Jan 26, 2004
  7. pspr

pspr

Good move!

#47     Jan 26, 2004
  8. ig0r

ig0r

Yep, correction to the upside :) Long march calls

#48     Jan 26, 2004
  9. ig0r

ig0r

Ya, there was a doji on the day at around 11am, was at the comp and figured that would be a good spot for 5. I plan to get out unless we break to new highs by end of week. If we do, I'll take another 5 ATM as we break 39. The next goal is 40. I'll probably get rid of the marches if we break 40 and go to april.

#49     Jan 26, 2004
  10. MRWSM

MRWSM

I posted this chart in May, and so far the QQQ has moved almost half way to the target. Yes, I believe this rally is not even half way finished. Sounds crazy, but looking at this chart it does not seem so far fetched.

http://www.ttrader.com/mycharts/display.php?p=11925&u=mrwsm&a=MRWSM TA Charts&id=242

The Bulls suffered almost an 80% drop in the Nasdaq, but the bears will suffer much more than 100% upside from low. Just looking at this 1929 chart below will give you an idea of what can happen more or less currently.

http://www.ttrader.com/mycharts/display.php?p=14774&u=mrwsm&a=MRWSM TA Charts&id=242

#50     Jan 26, 2004