Is anyone here still trading NQ intraday?

Discussion in 'Index Futures' started by Gabfly1, Mar 25, 2010.

1. light crude is sweeter :D

#11     Mar 25, 2010
  2. killthesunshine happens to be the illegitimate offspring of a mating between Jack Hershey and Mark Brown.

Tells you all you need to know.

#12     Mar 25, 2010
  3. M. Taon, kindly forgive me, but I now so deeply regret my cruelty in putting the asshole on ignore whose name I have already forgotten that I am moved to give away the secret of trading NQ. I lernt it after an exhaustive and exhausting study of an unmentionable ET master's method for trading ES. The method is as follows:

take a crayon
    take a piece of child's drawing paper
    create a column of numbers -1, 0 or 1 as appropriate using these rules

if yesterday was an up day, boldly draw a 1,
    if a down day a -1,
    if an unchanged day a 0 (this never happens, but we need consistent rules)

if the gap was up, use the same scoring rules

if the volume of the first minute is more that the average opening volume so far for the contract, draw a 1, etc.

same rules for the opening bar, up is 1

if the body of the opening candle is longer than the sum of the tails of the casndle, draw a 1, if less a -1, and if the same a zero

Sum the results, a potential scoring range of 5 to -5.

5 means a screaming long
    4 means a strong long
    3 is a modest long
    2 a questionable long
    1 a weak long
    and similarly for negative numbers

ignore a score of zero, as we are never permitted to stand aside ("You have to play to win!")

Now you may personalize the final decision making step as you wish, based on your own personal wealth and politics.

I take a latest issue Austrian Philharmonic gold coin and flip it. As I have never figured out which side is heads and which tails, I go long if the uniquely sibilant ringing tone reminds me of "Deutschland uber Alles", and short if the sound reminds me of "Horst Wessell Lied." If it stands on end upon landing, I do stand aside for the day.

You, for example, might use a Maple Leaf and decide based on "Oh Canada!" or "The Maple Leaf Forever!", although I don't recommend this, as the Maple Leaf is trash compared to the Philharmonic and refuses to sound nicely even if struck mightily with a ball peen hammer.

#13     Mar 25, 2010
  4. Arnie

Arnie

I trade it, but not as much as I used to since there is more opportunity in stocks. As for me, I do better taking what I can. Somedays that is one squirrley mother. Trying to catch a nice run is hard, at least for me.

#14     Mar 25, 2010
  5. i'm all for a great thread ..when i see it :eek:

#15     Mar 25, 2010
  6. I trade NQ over ES anyday, but lately with this low volatility Ive been trading GC, and 6E...

#16     Mar 25, 2010
  7. Dr. Deco, thank you for your invaluable contribution. Truly an embarrassment of riches. Only once a day, you say? I suppose you use a longer time frame than I do. I typically get several setups a day, some of which end as ~scratches (despite there being no itch) or worse. Even so, I couldn't imagine relying on a single setup per day. I get my diversification not through different instruments but via trade frequency, such as it is.

#17     Mar 25, 2010
  8. Squirrelly, you say? That depends on your time frame. But, yes, some days are much better than others. I find ES to look like a furry caterpillar at times. I much prefer NQ's directional movement in relation to the price bar ranges. And, as I noted earlier, all things considered, it gives me more reliable setups on balance.

No question, TF looks dazzling from time to time but I find its price action to be more erratic and less forgiving at what would be my (initial) points of entry. But some of the extended moves make me want to cry because I had no part in them. I hope it attracts more volume over time so that its overall price action gets a little smoother at the edges.

#18     Mar 25, 2010
  9. I don't want to know how people here trade NQ. I just wanted to know IF they trade it at all. Try to keep up, hombre. (Perhaps you need more beef in your diet.)

#19     Mar 25, 2010
  10. M. Taon, I have a 26" screen filled with illegibile illegitimate TA. Upwards of twenty putative S/R levels and more blowoff indicators than I can remember why I coded. Not a single one of them tests for shit standalone. BUT, in a rare raging rampaging rampant run, they often work as scale-in opportunities (that is, if I could afford to trade more than one NQ, saving my pennies). So I make my daily random entry (though lately been thinking about changing coins to a Buffalo), take my non-random lumps (repeatedly, I might add), and pretend that the random big wins make up for it (haven't looked at my account balance for weeks, afraid to). I imagine a certain person reading this and shaking his unconventional old head in pity. I commend this lack of method to you, because usually I get stopped out quickly, and I can go do something socially beneficial and responsible, like shoot. I gave up harassing idiots on ET. The neverending stream of them and the dully repetitive nature of their ignorance and foolishness finally wore me down.

#20     Mar 25, 2010