Is anyone here profitable?

Discussion in 'Trading' started by QuantWizard, Apr 25, 2013.

1. So what's the holy grail then? You mean you have lost your credibility two times on ET?

#41     Apr 27, 2013
  2. First of all, I totally agree that common sense is what matters above everything else. Most lack it, and that's why most aren't profitable.

Agreed (to your first premise), in the sense that a "better" timed entry (quotations marks because some might disagree about anyone being capable of objectively picking a great entry most of the time) will statistically improve your chances of getting a profitable trade, on any individual trade. So, the entry is very important.

But, over the lifetime of most trades, even the ones with a bad entry, there is a time where they are profitable. Concentrating on getting a great entry every time is very hard, but the exit is what ultimately determines the Pnl, and therefore by most accounts, is of greater importance. Also, in a portfolio it's very hard to perfectly time the entry every time.

Also, over one's career as a trader, the significance of any single trader would be minimal, and a systematic exit to lock in the profits or minimizing the losses, I think is the way to go. I could be wrong, but it works for me, and trading is a very personal pursuit, what might suit me might bankrupt somebody else.

It can be argued that a systematic entry will be help, and I agree, a good system needs to have both. But with both, the exit, I think, has more bearings on whether or not I am up or down overall.

#42     Apr 27, 2013
  3. I can't tell you.:p
    Are you profitable quantwizard? then you dont need to know :p
    Let's just say I'm going short 1st of may.:D

#43     Apr 27, 2013
  4. You should go to Coca-Cola and ask them what is their recipe ? Or go to KFC to ask for the secret recipe ?? :confused:

#44     Apr 27, 2013
  5. I could sum up my own Holy Grail in one sentence, but it would be "entirely subjective" and a typical quant would squeal like a pig......:D

#45     Apr 27, 2013
  6. newwurldmn

newwurldmn

Almost all strategies involve speculation. There's some amount of prediction and predictions can go wrong.

The only strategy I have personally seen that wasn't speculation was a tax arbitrage strategy that I ran several years ago. That was pure arbitrage and required no prediction of the future.

#46     Apr 27, 2013
  7. :cool:

#47     Apr 29, 2013
  8. Fortunately I am, check my journal thread Quantum Leap. Was just curious whether there are more than one holy grail...

#48     Apr 30, 2013
  9. Better keep quiet then... :)

#49     Apr 30, 2013
  10. This guy must be profitable. He's in his forties and flew sorties against the Viet Cong (at age 3) and shut down Monsanto with his bare-hands. He's also a civil rights hero.

Gentlemen.... may I present Alex Wasilewski of PureTick.com

http://www.amazon.com/review/REMADZYMOYN8Q

Alex is underwater on his house in Destin and desperate to sell, so perhaps you can get a discount on the pureshit.

#50     Apr 30, 2013