Is anyone getting sick of the Olympics already?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by turkeyneck, Aug 7, 2008.

1. No. What I'm tired of is all the politicizing of it, in lieu of telling me about the various sports and who the contenders are. That and I'm tired of Brett Farve in lieu of reporting, in its time, on the state of football as the year starts ...rule changes, player injuries etc.

#11     Aug 8, 2008
  2. i'm now in training for a breast holding contest

my credo:

i will HOLD FOR THE GOLD!

#12     Aug 8, 2008
  3. Well, the opening ceremony was absolutely amazing.

But, im truly baffled by the choice of music for the teams marching in-bagpipes, or mariachi music???

#13     Aug 8, 2008
  4. I use to love the olympics...but once they sold out to professional athletes...who gives a F*ck? In 1980 for instance it was so amazing seeing the hockey team and guys like " Mike Eruzione" playing their heart out for one final time....only a handful of guys from that team went on to play in the NHL....now they send an all star team from the NHL of guys who could give two shits...same with hoops...there were a lot of college guys who basically had their moment at the olympics ( leon bright and steve alford come to mind)...do you really care if 'Kobe gets a gold? do you really think Kobe cares? Serna and Venus are going to play tennis??? the bitch just won wimbledon and now she's gonna play professionals from her own circuit???? PROFESSIONAL ATHLETES HAVE RUINED THE OLYMICS

#14     Aug 8, 2008
  5. nope. not sick at all.

in fact, i pay no attention at all.

like most hyped bullshit in the media,

#15     Aug 8, 2008
  6. ...the other thing is the 'human interest story" ...it drives me nuts....SHOW ME THE FUCKING EVENT!!!...you sit down to watch 2-3 hours of olympics and actually see about 20 minutes of live sports...everything is " well before we go to wrestling . lets take a look at bobby smith, the US wrestler who was once called a midget and had a runny nose for twelve years"...que the sappy piano music ...

#16     Aug 8, 2008
  7. Great POST....I TRULY AGREE.
    The mystique is gone....
    only bright spot is the incredible story of Dara Torres in Swimming...beating girls 20 YEARS younger. Truly, this is THE STORY for America in the Olympics.
    Wow.

#17     Aug 8, 2008

8. Yeah but don't gety too excited...wait until she test positive for Horse steroid or Rhino growth hormone.....kind of like the tour de france....why watch the stages when in six months the true winner will be declared???

#18     Aug 8, 2008
  9. rickf

rickf

Hell, yes.

The Olympics have grown into one giant advertising love-fest using "global sports" and the "Olympic Spirit" to attract viewers around the world. (And why China got it still baffles me, but I'll hold my tongue for now.)

Over-hyping of anything turns me off and serves to discourage me from buying or participating in whatever's being hyped -- including the Olympics. Aside from swimming, tennis, and gymnastics, could care less this year. And then it's only two more years and the Winter Olympics get hyped up. Talk about viewer fatigue -- they should hold both events in ONE year, every four years.

Plus it's amazing that nobody in the MSM talks about the economics of the Olympics -- ie how much is wasted to build luxurious new stadiums and other venues that may not be used afterward, or as frequently?

On a side note, to followup on my many previous comments about CNBC....the fact CNBC - a "business news" channel - is modifying its schedule during the US trading day to participate in covering the Olympics as part of the NBC franchise only reinforces my already established views that CNBC is less about "news" and more about "-tainment."

Bleh.

#19     Aug 8, 2008
  10. I have never hurt anyone and have never intended or wished to hurt anyone, but i don't have to care about other people's fucking lives, and I don't want anyone to care about mine, I don't care if someone who existed yesterday (who ever the fuck (s)he is) ceases to exist today, humans are pathetic beings, and there is no point in caring for them, and it's not illegal to think hearing news about their death takes some of the boredom away from life

#20     Aug 9, 2008