Is anyone considering the possibility this Corona virus is an overhyped

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Good Fortune, Feb 21, 2020.

1. Snarkhund

Snarkhund

Iran's deputy health minister tests positive for COVID-19

People noticed this guy sweating and coughing at the medical conference on live tv:

So... what about everyone else in that room? What about every human he had contact with for the last two weeks?

#91     Feb 26, 2020
  2. $BUD has been garbage since mid-Oct of last year and has been delivering negative returns since 2018. If there is a "corona recovery bounce" I don't think it will go back up at all. Unless you want to hold the thing for years? Maybe $BUD will be good for a short term earnings play.

My top 2 stocks for a "corona recovery bounce", assuming the market ever recovers, is $ETR and $BAM. Holding period, 1 to 2 months tops.

#92     Feb 26, 2020
    vanzandt likes this.
  3. dealmaker

dealmaker

""

#93     Feb 26, 2020
  4. Wallet

Wallet

This may be the body slowly clearing the virus. As symptoms are slow to present themselves in some, it may as well work in reverse. You fell much better but the virus is still present as the body’s immune system roots out the last bit but still enough to test positive.

It may also show how tough the bug is to actually kill. There’s reports of secondary infection after recovering. It may be the body actually didn’t clear itself. Not finishing antibiotics, antiviral meds.

Either way it’s not good. We are just now starting to understand the virus. A couple of weeks from now we’ll have a good understanding of the impact we can expect. Until then caution is prudent.

#94     Feb 26, 2020
    dealmaker likes this.
  5. Given the media and their love of the hype and sensationalism and their full court press to blame something else on Trump rather than the bat eating Chinks it's rather obvious this is overblown.
    Flu results in "about 250,000 to 500,000 yearly deaths" worldwide, Wikipedia tells us. "The typical estimate is 36,000 [deaths] a year in the United States," reports NBC, citing the Centers for Disease Control.
    https://www.healthline.com/health-news/heres-whats-going-on-2019-flu-season
    Conclusion. Don't eat fucking bats and limit your travel to China until they kill off as many as they need to for population control.

#95     Feb 26, 2020
  6. @dozu888
    this is how your ilk of orange supporters are thinking of you, enjoy the perks of being on the winning team.

#96     Feb 26, 2020
  7. vanzandt

vanzandt

I like Brookfield, ETR.... ahhhhhh..... I'd wait on that one. I think it'll see $105.

Now BUD.... yeah I know, I've followed them forever. I shorted them at around $90 a ways back. Not this last $90... like 2018. But there is gonna be huge support at $65. I think its earnings a decent trade, unless they miss revenues again... but even at that, it was more of a multi-year call. And I think if Corona is for real, its also a flight to quality stock at these levels. Its not going away. 401K stuff to collect the dividend and the appreciation. Thing about stocks like this, they won't tolerate those Q after Q revenue misses, which they've obviously had. When a stock like this starts firing on 7 cylinders for more than a few quarters, the board always does something newsworthy. Be it firing the CEO or CFO.... or they unlock value. Sell something or spin something off. BUD is cheap right now. Its down at 2012 levels for a reason. But make no mistake, they will make something happen. And again, you're right, aside from an earnings play, its just a long term solid 401K addition which should beat the (historic) S&P return going forward.
    But who knows.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2020
    #97     Feb 26, 2020
    MoneyMatthew and Snarkhund like this.
  8. Wallet

Wallet

They already have the vaccine, RNA vaccine. Very interesting Medcram video talking about it.

#98     Feb 26, 2020
  9. vanzandt

vanzandt

If had any coyones, I'd put my money where my mouth is and buy 1000 shares pre-market here at $60 for quick daytrade....
    Uh-uh though... I can wait. I'm gonna see where it bottoms at. Only 45K shares have traded, and I have not read the report. I know they missed revenue and blamed China. Ironic that they own the Corona brand too ya know. It looks like they kept dividend intact though. Or close to it. I mean they still operate at huge profit margin. They're not running in the red. I mean WS buys these companies like Uber at 25X sales that have never made a nickel of profit and probably never will. For the long haul, portfolios need companies that make money. This whole get rich overnight thing is BS.
    Oh well... we'll see. I'll post if I jump in long. Or short, for a quickie.

#99     Feb 27, 2020
  10. Tsing Tao

Tsing Tao

You can't post this stuff in the politics session unless you end it with something like "MAGA" or "Winning!".

#100     Feb 27, 2020